So how exactly does rAthena work?

albertoacv4498

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13

The way I was thinking it worked when I first looked at it, is that you could like "make a mirror/clone" of one of the official servers (be it iRO, kRO, etc), and then were able to modify it and make your own private server. Thinking it worked like that, I basically wanted to make a clone of the official iRO and just be able to enjoy it all by myself, since I always played RO alone, anyway. Plus, that would've meant that I could change some basic stuff like rates, max level, and other "minor" (minor as in it doesn't require any special scripting, I guess, just some value changes) stuff whenever I wanted to. Thank you for any info!!

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

rAthena is indeed emulation software, which allows you to create a private server. rAthena attempts to mimic kRO database values so they will be different to what you'd be used to on iRO, as are the NPCs.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13

2 hours ago, Akkarin said:

rAthena is indeed emulation software, which allows you to create a private server. rAthena attempts to mimic kRO database values so they will be different to what you'd be used to on iRO, as are the NPCs.

Got it. Some extra questions came to mind, if you don't mind answering...
1) Is rAthena "plug and play", as in you can start playing as soon as you install everything? As if I had just installed kRO?
2) Is it necessary to do all the SQL stuff even when the idea is to just have it as a local singleplayer server?
3) How often would you recommend to redownload and update the server?
4) Is it easy to save and relocate your user info/characters?
Thank you very much! I'm sorry for the barrage of questions... Please do tell me if I should ask them in another part of the forum...

• Group:  Content Moderator
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1676

7 hours ago, albertoacv4498 said:

Got it. Some extra questions came to mind, if you don't mind answering...
1) Is rAthena "plug and play", as in you can start playing as soon as you install everything? As if I had just installed kRO?
2) Is it necessary to do all the SQL stuff even when the idea is to just have it as a local singleplayer server?
3) How often would you recommend to redownload and update the server?
4) Is it easy to save and relocate your user info/characters?
Thank you very much! I'm sorry for the barrage of questions... Please do tell me if I should ask them in another part of the forum...

1) no , you will get the source code , and it's up to you to compile it , and set it up , also you wont get a ready to play client , you would have to do this by your self too , however if you follow the guides in the forum , excluding the download time , you can set up a local server in less then 10 min , everything depend on your experience 

2) yes , you have to install some kind of sql

3) Always/Never , well , it's hard to tell , you see the updates , if it's a bug , and it would effect your server , you would want to apply it to your server  , right ? if it's a public server , you should use git commands always , and you can update your server like once a week , of once a month , the longer the time you wait the more updates you would have to apply, I wouldn't recommend more then a month , however if your server is fully customized , I wouldn't suggest a normal update, in that case , 1st i would suggest to try to get your copy as stabile as possible , by applying fixes only , you would reach a point where most of the fixes on rathena for things that you didn't apply to your server anyway

4) it's a database, so it's very easy

again everything depend on your experience , everything could take around 10 minutes or 10 weeks ?

I would just suggest to follow rathena wiki first , and if there is anything you didn't understand , or you are stuck , you can search the forum.

Home · rathena/rathena Wiki (github.com)