Is there a step-by-step guide for installation on Linux (unmanaged VPS)?

Pink Guy

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  371

I previously just gotten my RO servers installed from RO reseller hosting companies and I have been told that going for unmanaged VPS is better but obviously requires me to install everything from scratch.  I am completely new with Linux especially the installation part so I just want to ask if there's a recent guide that I can follow that teaches me what to do to get my server up and running after purchasing an unmanaged VPS hosting?  I previously hired a dev just to set up my server and it cost more than the host so I am thinking of learning at least the basics on at least getting the server up and running.  The only guide I found is this one and it's outdated (image not showing).  I would appreciate any help and also I don't know anything about Linux OS so maybe suggest which one to take as well if possible. 

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Pink Guy

2 answers to this question

• Group:  Content Moderator
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1676

well , it's all about how you use the os

you need to know the basic like how to install programs , check the programs configuration , permissions , and files management

there is no direct guide because you don't see how to "install a program" guide for windows, and you don't need that guide because I would assume "you just know how"

even if there is some useless guides like that ,  each program have it's own things

so you need  to learn the basic ?

and follow this

Install on Debian · rathena/rathena Wiki (github.com)

I recommend debian 9

for the high payment for who installed your server , well it's normal I don't think you would ask bill gates to install windows in your pc for one or two digit USD xD

it's the nerds tax

Edited by sader1992

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  371

19 minutes ago, sader1992 said:

well , it's all about how you use the os

you need to know the basic like how to install programs , check the programs configuration , permissions , and files management

there is no direct guide because you don't see how to "install a program" guide for windows, and you don't need that guide because I would assume "you just know how"

even if there is some useless guides like that ,  each program have it's own things

so you need  to learn the basic ?

and follow this

Install on Debian · rathena/rathena Wiki (github.com)

I recommend debian 9

for the high payment for who installed your server , well it's normal I don't think you would ask bill gates to install windows in your pc for one or two digit USD xD

it's the nerds tax

Thank you I will check that out!