How risky is it using RO sprites in another game?

robby22

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13

Hello I've been developing a MOBA style game for a few weeks with Unity. I'm missing decent sprites and Ragnarok has plenty of amazing ones, it will be a multiplayer desktop/browser game and free to play so would I still get targeted by Gravity even though I make no money off it?

Would be horrible to spend all that time porting sprites into unity and animating them only to get sued.

Edited by robby22

• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  233

Yes, you will be hit by the rights of gravity.
Especially if the project becomes popular.
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  0

i've been developing some games myself ,

there's no way any developer / content maker can sue you for anything that's non profit ,

logical comparison is like : if you ain't putting any ads in your youtube videos , you can freely use anyone's video as long as your videos ain't against youtube rules .

but if by any chance they know that you're making profit with it , then yes , they can sue you easily

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13

3 hours ago, kanayachii said:

i've been developing some games myself ,

there's no way any developer / content maker can sue you for anything that's non profit ,

logical comparison is like : if you ain't putting any ads in your youtube videos , you can freely use anyone's video as long as your videos ain't against youtube rules .

but if by any chance they know that you're making profit with it , then yes , they can sue you easily

Thanks, have you seen PokeMMO and PokemonRevolutions who have thousands of players but haven't been shut down? I've also seen many fan made games based on anime's that seem to be doing okay. Yeah I think you are right, it'll be fine as long as we don't start retailing the product.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  924

Please post some update for this game, maybe on project forums. (When it's available)

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  0

it's just the same as "Private Servers" in ragnarok ,

gravity tends to hunt them down backthen , but nowadays private server seems just fine everywhere ,

but they're still in they grey area .

the safest route of not getting tackled is  , taking "donations" by paypal etc , by law you can't be sued by "profittable law" even if u copied other's content if u just use "donations" system instead of "item mall" or in game money currency ,

which im pretty sure , that is what these two pokemon games u said are doing right now ,

with this , you guys are still in the grey area . but safer 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

Owning a private server is a grey area, using Gravity's client data is the illegal bit as you are using copyrighted material assets.

It's always a risk - it's just down to you if you take it or not. Personally, i use https://www.gamedevmarket.net/ for graphical assets in other projects i'm involved in.

• 1 year later...

• Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  112

Can you get sued? Yes. Will you? That's a roll of the dice. Imagine being one of the graphic designers who spent hours carefully filling in all those pixels. You busted your rear end just to build one character, not even including weapons and armor, and then someone just rips it and tosses it in their video game and doesn't give you a dime or even a thank you. Would you be upset? Something to keep in mind. That's why I hope the video game community pushes for a public domain library of assets (maps, monsters, icons, etc), because in the long run, it could help a lot of enjoyable games to come out.