DecentRO - a story of a most likely unreleased server

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  96

After hopping from server to server, I found that most servers had the same bugs that most people would suggest to be fixed after the server officially opened. I started to compile a list and post my list on the forums before the start of every server I played on. Being young at the time, 18 or 19, I thought maybe I could make a server, not knowing how much work really went into it. The seed was planted, though, and it stayed buried for a long time until about four years ago. I had just got done playing on a 1x server on renewal. It was fun and challenging in a few ways I didn't expect, mainly on the tedious spectrum and being used to autoloot. Unfortunately, the server died. A player from that server showed me how to set up my own instance of RO on my own computer and I could modify it to my liking but it needed a name. I wanted to make a good server, as most of us do, but I was no longer cocky. I knew being an admin was hard but I wanted to strive for something better than okay, something... decent. And thus the name was born.

That preamble out of the way, I decided to just roll with what I was most comfortable with. Pre-renewal with some, pretty standard, tweaks and most of the usual suspects fixed. I taught myself script, so I'm pretty bad at it and most likely make redundant scripts but I've been able to get away with doing what I need to and, if I can't, I beg on these forums. It had to have BG and everybody loved eAmod BG, so I looked up the scripts for that and tried to get it to work. It needed some tweaks but I managed and, as far as I can test with one person running ten clients, it seemed to work properly with some play testing. Then I turned my eye to some normal features I felt were lacking: Pets, picking up loot, new content, etc. It was around this point I started modifying the src. I'm no where near even half decent at src modification but I've been able to put together how to get an idea of what is happening. It's allowed me to really make some decent modifications.

I brought back pets fighting (not sure if that's enabled in renewal now), added arealoot with some bothering of Playtester, and started tweaking some renewal content. I've managed to get what I feel are some decent tweaks to New World, Dicastes, Mora, Old Glast Heim and Dewata. I implemented the pre-renewal Brasilis with some minor modifications. I've implemented all renewal cards, excluding maybe four or so.

The amount of random tweaks I've made to this server I feel really make it stand out but I'm too worried, anxious and just scared to release it. I came close one time but then maintaining a website, finding the correct server to host it on and just the pressure of being an official admin was too much and I canceled.

My changelog is pretty detailed and I've been adamant about making sure I write down every change or fix I make to the server. If you'd like to discuss, especially my unfinished ideas, I'm glad to hear feedback. Here's the link: https://pastebin.com/YCf0vnXp

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I was talking to my partner about what Mvps we could do together once I finally found a marc card, because I also play on the server that I am working on to better find bugs and just 'cause I like RO, and one of the bosses was Ktullanux. I realized that, other than the Ice Necklace Quest, there was no other way to acquire more Freezing Snow Powder. It feels like a bit of an oversight that in order to summon the boss again, you need to get a character to base level 70 to do the quest. This is by far the highest requirement, especially since the server is 1x, to summon a boss and seems a bit strange to population-lock a boss like that. So, I implemented Freezing Snow Powder as a drop from all mobs in Ice Dungeon, excluding Iceicle, at varying rates. It was added to Siroma at 0.01% base, Snowier at 0.03% base, Gazeti at 0.08% base, Ice Titan at 0.10% base and Ktullanux at 30% base. I say base because my server has the +0.01% drop rate to all drops below 50%. So, that would make it 0.02, 0.04, 0.09, 0.11 and 30.01 across the mobs respectively. I never really gave Ktullanux much thought but I think this is a pretty decent change that should allow it to be summoned more often and would perhaps lead to an uptick in Ice Dungeon parties, as now, if you stay long enough, you can summon the boss.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  416

Yeah but you can get back to 70 really easily doing this

Brasilis Dungeon Entrance Quest	40
Crow of Destiny Quest	60
Eye of Hellion Quest	60

I usually grab these before i rebirth 

Most of the time im like level 98 by the time i finish all these 

Idk theres a 100 other mvps that need a party and no one can kill them .... I doubt making an instanced boss like that more available would change much

Ive watched a ranger on a super high rate try to kite gopinich and she couldnt even do it.... 

Yeah she invited me to just watch 

Edited by Naruto

Player's are capped at 1.99 levels per exp source. So, taking those quests post rebirth would only net you 3.99 levels.

I've been debating making a Discord to more easily document my changes for those that are interested but that requires me organizing my mess of a changelog. I quite often tweak or change things but some are too insignificant alone to post but could be worth mentioning all at the same time but, by the time I get a decent stack, I don't always remember everything I've done. Something worth mentioning I did earlier was I tweaked Dispell to be more uniform. Some buffs that target equipment don't get dispelled on Dispell/Death such as EDP. Some usable items that grant buffs, Hit I believe and Atkpotions, don't go away on Dispell/Death. I think this is strange and inconsistent, so I changed it to where any item that grants a buff no longer goes away on death or dispell and any skill that targets equipment rather than the player themselves also no longer goes away on dispell/death.

I also lessened the time that the airship takes to run it's route; roughly 80% shorter. I added a sign at the entrance portal of Bio F3 that is only there if the Mvp is dead. A tomb of sorts so people can know quickly if it is up or not. Lowered the requirement of Crystalized Teardrops on Laphine Craftsman from 15 to 5. Added an "As Many As Possible" to Tripatriate's Union Feud NPCs turn-ins. Added portals to the Guild SE Dungeon Floors that were missing that lead back outside. But these are all pretty minor changes imo.

Edited by Dragonis1701

Today I spent about five hours adding new costumes for each headgear quest. Players will now obtain a costume version of the item they just completed the quest for. Binoculars, Helmet of Orc Hero, Opera Masque, etc. This will be the only way to get these specific costumes and I think it adds more use to those quests in general. Some headgears are nice looking but you don't wanna equip them because their effects are bad and some of them are too simple to warrant the 50 decent coins, imo. I feel it's a good inbetween move.

• 2 weeks later...

I just implemented a feature I've been putting off scripting because I'm bad at scripting, Infusions. I took all cards that are "Get X item when you kill Y" and made them available for infusing into those closed card slots on Accessories and Headgears. This cards are

Headgear:
            Cramp
            Dryad
            Giant Hornet
            Knocker
            Leaf Cat
            Leib Olmai
            Myst Case
        Accessory:
            Anopheles
            Armeyer Dinze
            Baroness of Retribution
            Blazer
            Cloud Hermit
            Dragon Egg
            Rice Cake Boy
            Galapago
            Gargoyle
            Gremlin
            Grove
            Hermit Plant
            Jing Guai
            Marin
            Mimic
            Orc Archer
            Plasma
            Raydric Archer
            Sage Worm
            Sea-Otter
            Sleeper
            Snowier
            Spring Rabbit
            Stem Worm
            Tengu
            Wraith

It costs 400k and each armor piece can hold three, if slotted, and four if not slotted. I feel this gives some use to these cards as most of the time they're just not good enough or the item they provide is not good enough to warrant sacrificing the slot during normal gameplay. If any of the cards had an additional effect aside from the bonus item, the extra effect was removed.