autoattacking bug

Seravy

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  176

Not 100% sure this is a client bug but most likely.

So when I attack a monster and have noctrl enabled to keep attacking, while the attack is ongoing, if I click on another monster, the target does not change to that monster and if I try to use a skill, for example Double Strafe, nothing happens, the skill is not used. This effect lasts until the target is dead or I walk away to interrupt my own attacking.

This makes the game nearly unplayable, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this last time I was playing...

How do I fix this? I don't see anything like this in Nemo but maybe I just didn't notice?

6 answers to this question

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  790

Wasn't it always like that? When I last checked this I figured the client refuses to send anything to the server while in auto attack except for move commands. Probably would need to require catching packets from official server for auto attack and see if there's anything different.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  154

you can make your skills like monk combos where they just target whatever your auto attacking

but afair thats how the game is, i usually just click viciously until i change targets

The way i made  my gunslinger is a gave it 2 skills lhand and rhand akimbo, so now i need to spam these in rythm cause you cant use lhnd without rhnd first, and you only got like 1 second window to do it, but i designed it for that you dont need to use auto attacks unless your aiming for the fastest dps aspd

these obviously arent gonna solve your problems

but i was working on a PvE and know your problem , this isnt really an issue in renewal since no one uses basic attacks anymore

Well, last time I played was like 5-7-9? idk years ago but no it wasn't like that as far as I remember. In general if a UI doesn't respond to the player's input, that's a bug even if it's an official one. So there is no known patch for this bug? Are there some IDA files for the  client so I can try looking for a solution? ...omg clients nowadays are 20 mbytes?

If this doesn't get fixed I might give up playing archer classes and let my AI handle it, they don't suffer from client bugs...

heck I also should give up on playing tank classes, if I can't switch to attack a different mob to divert it to my character, I fail as a tank. I know I can turn of noctrl but that's just silly.

I wonder... can a @noctrl server command solve this? If the client doesn't realize we are in /noctrl mode but the server makes the character keep up the attack, wouldn't that fix it?

Tried experimenting with this.

I was able to make the server force auto-attacking with noctrl off. (however I had to disable the server reacting to "stop attacking" requests, the client probably sends one after every attack if noctrl is off. However that didn't fix the problem. Occasionally the skill goes through but usually not, or gets delayed for a long while. So I added a breakpoint to where the server receives a skill use request. The breakpoint doesn't trigger when using a skill while attacking, even though I have /nc off. When I use the skill without attacking, the breakpoint triggers and the skill does work. I looked through unit.cpp and saw nothing that would tell the client the unit is forced to autoattack despite having /noctrl off.

At this point my conclusion was : The client isn't sending an attack or skill use request packed during the attack animation, even if it's not aware the attack is continuous. So fixing this on the server side might be impossible. So I undid these changes and tried a last test : attacked with noctrl off and tried to use a skill while shooting. No matter how quickly I did it, I always managed to use the skill, it simply was delayed until the attack animation ended. So this counters that theory and implies the client is somehow still aware I'm auto-attacking with noctrl off when I modify server code. However there seems to be no reference to state.attack_continue in clif.cpp that could do that. So this also seems impossible. In the end, these test results contradict each other and shouldn't be possible.

I admit, my memories of the last time I played the game are not very clear. I vaguely remember playing Sniper and having to hold down my mouse button to attack which would imply I wasn't using noctrl, probably due to this problem. But I'm not entirely sure about that either.

Anyway, I have no idea where the problem is coming from. But I definitely hope someone can figure it out and fix it.

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  790

It's probably so that the client buffers the commands and sends them when it thinks that the amotion delay is over. But when auto attacking, it never gets to that point.

Yeah, but how does the client know about that if auto-attacking isn't done by noctrl but enabled on the server side? I believe there should be a packet that tells the client "You are still attacking" otherwise we wouldn't see the animation happening either, but I couldn't find where the server sends something like that. If I could, possibly messing with that might fix the problem.  But now that I think about it, one definitely has to exist, otherwise the attack animation wouldn't show up at all...

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  770

how about this issue ? any solution?