WinXP support for lates Ragexes

Nozomi

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10

Good day, everyone!

Im running my own server and get reports of my Ragexe(year 2018) not working on WinXP. As i've found out it's because Gravity stopped supporting WinXP in last versions and now you need at least Vista to play. (gettickcount64 function not present in WinXP kernel32.dll)

My question is: is there a way to make these EXE work with WinXP? If not then what's the best way to handle this problem?

Should i use older versions or ask users to switch their OS?

I mean does older EXE lack something important in terms of functionality/security?

If i need older version then i appreciate if you can give me link to working one with packetver for it(i tried some old exes not long ago, but packetver that i got from NEMO strangely not happen to work for them).

Edited by Nozomi

5 answers to this question

• Group:  Development Manager
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  732

Windows XP has gone EOL ages ago and Microsoft has even stopped LTS for it years ago (around 2016). Your users should consider seriously updating as there are many security threats posed by using an unsupported operating system.

There are options for you to use an older RO EXE but you may lose some features that are released in there depending on the version you choose. I'm sorry but those are your only two options.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  10

6 minutes ago, Aleos said:

Windows XP has gone EOL ages ago and Microsoft has even stopped LTS for it years ago (around 2016). Your users should consider seriously updating as there are many security threats posed by using an unsupported operating system.

There are options for you to use an older RO EXE but you may lose some features that are released in there depending on the version you choose. I'm sorry but those are your only two options.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure there's no other options.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  417

11 minutes ago, Aleos said:

Thank you very much for this microsoft-support-staff-esque answer. Actually I consider it quite rude if services dictate what kind of OS or browser its users have to use, just because they have incompetent devs.

4 hours ago, Nozomi said:

Good day, everyone!

Im running my own server and get reports of my Ragexe(year 2018) not working on WinXP. As i've found out it's because Gravity stopped supporting WinXP in last versions and now you need at least Vista to play. (gettickcount64 function not present in WinXP kernel32.dll)

My question is: is there a way to make these EXE work with WinXP? If not then what's the best way to handle this problem?

Should i use older versions or ask users to switch their OS?

I mean does older EXE lack something important in terms of functionality/security?

If i need older version then i appreciate if you can give me link to working one with packetver for it(i tried some old exes not long ago, but packetver that i got from NEMO strangely not happen to work for them).

It is possible by patching the client to use a proxy DLL that forwards the calls to the real DLL when that call is supported, and emulates it when it is not.

This is also the way I use to analyze new clients on Windows 98 SE.

• Group:  Development Manager
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  732

19 minutes ago, Ai4rei said:

Thank you very much for this microsoft-support-staff-esque answer. Actually I consider it quite rude if services dictate what kind of OS or browser its users have to use, just because they have incompetent devs.

Even if it's a generic response, we don't manage Gravity or their client updates/features. Common users don't necessarily need to be using unsupported software.

A quick Google search returns this. So if it was added back then you'd need some version dated after that post.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  182

Either you get the client's source code, which is impossible

or switch to 2018-01-24bRagexeRE, which is the last client winxp can run.