Crowdfunding; The New Set of Goals

Akkarin

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

Afternoon all!

Back in March this year, the staff had a few conversations regarding the Donation Goals we periodically created in order to keep the forums afloat. While the Goals did what they needed to do for the most part, there was still the other reason that the Goals were created that wasn't being fulfilled. This was for the Devs to earn some monetary recompense for their hard work. As the Donation Goal platform wasn't fulfilling that need, I went ahead and purchased an App for our forums that can do everything we need it to.

Crowdfunding.

We were going to leave the App offline until one of the Devs could create a code related goal, but since the discussion in https://rathena.org/board/topic/115859-multi-mod-auto-replies/ I thought we may as well go ahead and open up the platform now. You can find the link under "Supporting rA" in the navigation bar.

Projects can only be created by staff for forum related apps/plugins/fees or for code projects/enhancements/features for the code itself on github. The project owner receives the donation values to their account credit, which they can then disperse to other staff if they want to share their funds. This platform gives the Devs all they need to get a little bit back.

While some of the staff have voiced their thoughts on opening this platform up to regular members, i'm holding off on that until we can find a way of ensuring that project owners will complete their project once the goal has been met.

We'll try a few small project goals and see how we go. If the platform does indeed do what we need it to, then we'll begin to think about releasing larger projects to it.

Akky out~

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2044

this actually reminds me during eathena days, there were bounty ...
back in those day we were using SVN so there was no pull request ...

maybe its time to bring this feature back

how they did ?
1. members put a bounty on a project they like to implement
2. the developers, or whoever get it done get part of the bounty payment

of course, if I still remember well, this idea was dropped soon after because this promote developers getting lazy and only do for the bounty
well, but in my opinion, it was such a nice idea

let me recall some of the important points of the discussion ... because eathena board was no more ...
1. how the members going to put a bounty ... and who going to manage the money ...
2. if I still remember correctly, the bounty can only issue by developers, usually issue for official script that needs IRO confirmation,
or something like iro script convertion ... etc
yeah, I remember at the time, I don't know why they don't allow members put a bounty ... maybe because they usually asked for unofficial request ?
3. put a bounty on a project to get it done faster, or bounty on things that's not many wants to do, but a popular feature.....
4. can't really remember at the moment ...

but anyhow ... discuss ~

EDIT: ... ohh....
https://rathena.org/board/crowdfunding/category/1-rathena-forums/

Edited by AnnieRuru

21 minutes ago, AnnieRuru said:

this actually reminds me during eathena days, there were bounty ...
back in those day we were using SVN so there was no pull request ...

maybe its time to bring this feature back

how they did ?
1. members put a bounty on a project they like to implement
2. the developers, or whoever get it done get part of the bounty payment

of course, if I still remember well, this idea was dropped soon after because this promote developers getting lazy and only do for the bounty
well, but in my opinion, it was such a nice idea

let me recall some of the important points of the discussion ... because eathena board was no more ...
1. how the members going to put a bounty ... and who going to manage the money ...
2. if I still remember correctly, the bounty can only issue by developers, usually issue for official script that needs IRO confirmation,
or something like iro script convertion ... etc
yeah, I remember at the time, I don't know why they don't allow members put a bounty ... maybe because they usually asked for unofficial request ?
3. put a bounty on a project to get it done faster, or bounty on things that's not many wants to do, but a popular feature.....
4. can't really remember at the moment ...

but anyhow ... discuss ~

This is exactly what the crowdfunding app does.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2044

curious then ...

let's say a member wants a feature implement ...
and have enough cash want to kick start a campaign ...
but the feature is not listed in the crowdfunding list ...
so how members going to start a petition for a support ?

maybe add another subforum for the discussion ?

because I don't think its a good idea for members to just open a crowdfunding project easily
should have a leader behind to monitor them

Edited by AnnieRuru

• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  208

I think for something like that, it should be a requested thing. Member consults a Member of staff and that Staff member can bring it to every staff member's attention which can go from there

3 minutes ago, AnnieRuru said:

curious then ...

let's say a member wants a feature implement ...
and have enough cash want to kick start a campaign ...
but the feature is not listed in the crowdfunding list ...
so how members going to start a gathering for a support ?

maybe add another subforum for the discussion ?

8 minutes ago, AnnieRuru said:

so how members going to start a gathering for a support ?

Well.. as i stated in the first post, the devs create the projects and goals and that members don't have this ability until we can decide on a method of screening so members aren't scammed.

1 hour ago, Akkarin said:

Well.. as i stated in the first post, the devs create the projects and goals and that members don't have this ability until we can decide on a method of screening so members aren't scammed.

I believe more so that we need to devise a way so that there arent 100x the same feature request

That too. Until we are sure that this app can do what we need it to do, it'll remain open for only staff to post projects. We can iron out any kinks when we open it up for members to post projects (which will all be hidden until a member of staff approves it). 

15 minutes ago, Akkarin said:

That too. Until we are sure that this app can do what we need it to do, it'll remain open for only staff to post projects. We can iron out any kinks when we open it up for members to post projects (which will all be hidden until a member of staff approves it). 

Possibly make it available only to post projects by donators or staff? Seems like the most efficient thing to do