Mystery Client Errors

GaugePrower

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3

Hello rAthena, it looks like some of you are still out there. 

So I haven't run a private RO server in a VERY LONG time. To give you an idea, my last server was run with Weiss/Fusion. I'm looking to run an up to date server using rAthena on my HP Proliant which is running Windows Server 2016. I cloned the latest github release a few days ago and was able to successfully compile. I was also able to successfully get MySQL 8 all set up with the necessary schemas, tables and such. Ports 6900, 6121, and 5121 are opened via the router and Windows Server Firewall. I'm thinking everything is ok server side.

Here's where the problems begin. There are so many official clients out there that I have no idea which one to use. I first went and downloaded the latest iRO, patched up to the latest version, and was able to use the latest NEMO patcher to successfully patch the client to read the data folder first, and disable the need for 1rag1 on the command line. The game booted, I was able to log in (i got some weird Character Info size error: "Character_Info Size 145"), but was able to get past this to the character creation screen. I created a default female human character with a test name. The character appeared with a black silhouette for an outfit, and was looking for a missing palette. It looks like it was calling for a Novice 5 pallet, of which there are only 4 in the GRFs. When I attempted to login, a crash. From then on, whenever I would login, it would immediately crash before the character select screen. So, I gave up on iRO and figured I'd give kRO a try since this is what most private servers use.

I downloaded kRO_FullClient_20180327 from this forum, it looks to be one of the most recent clean clients at this time. I attempted to patch with NEMO with some success. Now, when I booted the game I received a hell of a lot of "attempted to call a nill value" errors and it never booted. (Note: for both iRO and kRO I've been patching Ragexe).

My Clientinfo.xml is as follows: (I have no idea what version to put and tried several: 18, 20, 22, 45, 55. I also tried using service type Korea and server type Sakray to no avail)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr" ?>

<clientinfo>

<servicetype>america</servicetype>
    <servertype>primary</servertype>
    <hideaccountlist></hideaccountlist>
    <extendedslot></extendedslot>

<connection>
        <display>GG Ragnarok Online</display>
        <desc>None</desc>
        <address>~MYWANIP~</address>
        <port>6900</port>
        <version>55</version>
        <langtype>1</langtype>
        <registrationweb>~REGISTRATIONURL~</registrationweb>

<yellow>
            <admin>2000000</admin>
            <admin>2000001</admin>
            <admin>2000002</admin>
        </yellow>

</connection>

</clientinfo>

So from the looks of it, either there is a little tweaking that may need to be done server side to make those iRO errors/crashes stop happening, or if the server requires kRO, I have to figure out what's causing all of those "call a nill value" errors.

Another extra thing I tried, was to use the client and data provided on this forum shared by AnacondaQQ for the 2018 offline server. I switched up the clientinfo file, and the game booted. I was able to login, (the login server console accepted the connection) but I wasn't able to get to the character selection screen and beyond. I received a failed to connect to server error. So I gave up on using that client as well.

Can anyone out there who has some experience with rAthena follow all this and chime in with some possible solutions if you've ever run into something like this before? I'm thinking my problems are more client side vs server side since logging in works. I'm sure if I had a client that wouldn't error out, it would login and be able to play just fine. If you need some additional information just let me know.

Thanks ?

Edited by GaugePrower

4 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  86

Greetings GaugePower,

It looks like your emulator was compiled with a PACKETVER different to that of the client you're using.

By default, rAthena is as of now compiling with PACKETVER 20150411. This is defined in src/config/packets.h, but it may be overriden by another define in src/custom/defines_pre.h.

So, first open src/custom/defines_pre.h and check whether there's any line in the format:

#define PACKETVER YYYYMMDD

If so, then this is the PACKETVER you compiled your emulator with, so either change it to match with your client version, or use another client with this version.

However, if there is no such line, then the PACKETVER is that defined in src/config/packets.h (20150411). If you decide to use another client, please do not edit src/config/packets.h. Instead, add the define in src/custom/defines_pre.h. Then, recompile.

If you provide more information on what client you are using NEMO with, that may be of help.

Tyrfing

Edited by Tyrfing
Additional information provided

44 minutes ago, Tyrfing said:

Greetings GaugePower,

It looks like emulator was compiled with a PACKETVER different to that of the client you're using. By default, rAthena is currently using 20150411 for pre-RE, so you should use NEMO on a 2015-04-11aRagexe.exe client, or change PACKETVER to that of your current client.

If you provide more information on what client you are using NEMO with, that may be of help.

Tyrfing

I have a feeling that is exactly what's giving me problems. I compiled without specifying anything, so this must mean the 4/11/15 client is what I would need. Or, I would have to specify the packetver of a new client and recompile right? I'll use the default first to verify this solves the issue, then I'll go for an update. Thanks!

Edited by GaugePrower

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  86

Good. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Adding the line to specify PACKETVER and a recompile, along with using a newer matching client with a fresh kRO install solved the issue! Thanks, this one has had me pulling my hair out for days haha

Edited by GaugePrower