[Guide] Sage's Guide to Making Stylish Maps

Sage

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  111

Hey everybody, I've mentioned wanting to produce some Browedit tutorials for a long time, so I've finally gotten around to starting. These will be posted/updated a a little infrequently- Basically whenever I have the free time and have come up with a good idea. It's noted in the introduction, but my tutorials will focus more on how to make your maps look good rather than being highly technical explanations of how different edit modes work, or how to use third-party programs. There will be some technical stuff, but again, this will be more about style and design rather than technical things.

You can post in this thread to offer feedback on what I've written so far, or suggest topics you would like to see me cover. My tutorials are written in publicly accessible Google Docs- It's a nice, easy to use format and lets me make adjustments, edits, and updates easily.

Sage's Browedit Tutorials

Introduction

How To Make Lightmaps Stop Looking Bad

In this first post, I'll also write down a few vague ideas I have for future tutorials. Don't take any of these as promises- They might become part of bigger tutorials, or I might come up with a different way to present the ideas, or whatever. I may come up with something completely different, too. Anyway, here are some tutorials I'm considering writing:

• Retexturing Models - Syouji's video guides explain how to do this, but I think I could probably make a non-video based guide on how to do this that's a little clearer and easier to follow.
  • Making Town Maps - I see a lot of town maps with similar problems that result in them not being very good- Mismatched models and textures, boring and repetitive streets, etc.
  • Global Height Edit - This is a nifty tool with a couple fun/creative applications. Not sure if there's enough to make up its own guide, however.
  • Custom Models are for Suckers - There are a lot of cool 'custom' models you can make by just arranging existing RO models together to form particular shapes. I have a few fun ones I can share to maybe inspire people.
  • Interior Maps - A tutorial on making RO-style interiors in isometric form, and some style ideas for different settings: Homes, castles, abandoned buildings, etc.

You're also free to treat this thread as an 'ask me anything' sorta deal, in case you want a quick answer from me on anything regarding mapping or my process or just about anything.

yeet

Edited by Sage
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 7
  • MVP 1
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  411

Waiting for this. I love your maps

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  234

@Sage where can I find your maps?

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  111

19 minutes ago, maken06 said:

@Sage where can I find your maps?

Nowhere, at the moment. I'm setting up a website where I can showcase/sell them, but it's a work in progress. I never intended for most of the maps I make to ever be released or shown outside of the small server I run with a small group of friends, so it's taking me some time to decide how they'll be package together and making sure they GRFs I put them in contain all the correct textures/models/etc. Please be patient.

• Love 1

• 5 months later...

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  84

On 2/20/2018 at 4:35 PM, Sage said:
  • Custom Models are for Suckers - There are a lot of cool 'custom' models you can make by just arranging existing RO models together to form particular shapes. I have a few fun ones I can share to maybe inspire people.

Gravity approves : D

44Nw2Bm.png - find in kh_kiehl01

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  134

Uhm, this should be pinned uwu