[Showcase] Serene Village - 3rd gen

Olrox

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

Hi there,

Man I feel great, seems this forum always is on activity and I do stalk a lot of new maps and so as map creators ^^ sadly not enough time to reply on some topics, but I do follow this forum a lot.

Was already time to shows some map stuff, you 'll find it out on spoilers. Is an improved version of a map I did a while ago.

Spoiler

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.9339b6d6c47a3cff7048de60f7636d8c.jpgScreenshot_2.thumb.jpg.236ef6ca94d13ba3351aa190fa45da57.jpgScreenshot_3.thumb.jpg.9c7535763593764a5046ab4be052690a.jpgScreenshot_4.thumb.jpg.069f5e53368d1fed02b932c1b6c4c33c.jpgScreenshot_12.thumb.jpg.40cb49406363196c6c7dc4397faa1841.jpgScreenshot_87.thumb.jpg.867210e5f4128848b1922f1d7f487347.jpgScreenshot_8.thumb.jpg.5de270c1a48397a20c2591c3f19ac897.jpgScreenshot_5.thumb.jpg.b8d97bf433ea62fd2fa64f9d3c179e2d.jpgScreenshot_6.thumb.jpg.654a4685886ebded318b65cb2b854f2d.jpg

The map is done already, I don't think it will have any editions whatsoever soon but suggestions are always welcome on new work I'm doing already.

Best wishes to you all, see you soon :)

Edited by Olrox
missing images
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 5
  • Like 2

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  309

Amazing <3 I already want to buy :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  403

♥.♥

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24

Oh wow! a remake of the Audacity map.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  13

Amazing as always Olrox! 

The map is now more vibrant compared to the first AudacityRO map version. So glad the map sketch is still awesome. I have a few suggestions, will drop by on skype shortly.

I'm guessing the map bugs were fixed too.

Just in time for season 3!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  111

Holy shit a new post and not something from 2011 that got bumped because someone wanted to say 'nice.'

This is pretty nice. There are a couple areas I particularly like, like this plaza where you made a curved fence around the grassy area. In general, I think adding curves and more 'natural' shapes rather than making everything a straight line or rectangle is a good way to make any map look a lot better. The garden area near the middle with the ascending path is also nice- Though it could maybe look a little more dense/overgrown if you added some bushes or flowers to cover up the bottom of those walls. The retextured Brasilis houses are also very nice.

I've got a few suggestions- I know you said you're probably done with this map, but this advice could apply to new ones, too. I'm not sure if you work in Brow 1.0 or 2.0, but I only work in 1.0, so I'll use that version's terms.

Lighting: The further north/east you go on the map, the more stretched out the shadows look. I would suggest moving your 'sun' light (whichever one casts those shadows) a little bit closer towards the center of the map, and a little bit higher off the ground. The 'rule of thumb' I use on my own maps is I keep moving the light up until I see the bottom of its vertical yellow line go above the ground. Also, what smoothing factor are you using? Maybe it's just me, but a lot of those shadows look very blurry. I generally use a smoothing factor of 1 and leave it at that- I think it's a good medium between crisp/pixely shadows and very blurry ones.

Models: A few models look out of place, and I think the map would look more cohesive if you recolored a few other objects to match their surroundings more. The brown building with the archway in this screenshot looks a bit out of place- Making the sides of it a lighter color, and perhaps adding some saturation to the roof would make it fit in better. Those tall rock formations from Louyang off the shore could also be retextured to match the grass/cliff textures you're using. I know that model is a bitch to retexture (I've done it more than once), but it's also a good model to have in many different textures. That shit is like easy mode for detailed cliffs, my dude.The other model that stands out a lot are the bridges, for obvious reasons.

Textures: There's a lot of open space on the map, which isn't a bad thing by itself, but I think adding some variation to the ground would make a lot of areas look better. For example: The diamond/square shape at the center of the map above the garden is fairly simple in shape- You could play around with square/diagonal borders between the two ground textures to create a more interesting pattern. Some town maps ingame do this, like with some of the streets in Lighthalzen. Examples here and over here. Buildings/decorations can be made to look like they fit into the world better if you give them special textures underneath, as well: As an example, this blue building is just sort of hovering on top of the pattern beneath it. Keep an eye out for texture errors in small places too. You also use a lot of different ground textures without consistency- In some parts of town, you use the rectangular cobblestone texture as the surrounding/'sidewalk' texture and the circle-pattern cobblestone texture as the 'street'/plaza ground, and then in other parts of town, you reverse the two. I also think the texture you use for the arena near the top of the map is too big- Sometimes you can get away with stretching a texture that large, but you already used those cobblestones for the town streets, so it doesn't really say "combat zone people fight ontop of this" to me.

I apologize for writing you a novella in this reply.

Edited by Sage
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Sage hello, srry I thought I replied, seems I didnt. I do appreciate your suggestions and I follow your further work to improve areas I need.

@everyone ty for your comments and support, I do appreciate.

Yea is a remake of the audacity, is weird this map had two different names... backstory of that: I misuploaded the video on my channel and I gave it a random name: "audacity" then it became official somehow :)

Edited by Olrox

On 3/5/2018 at 11:38 PM, Olrox said:

@Sage hello, srry I thought I replied, seems I didnt. I do appreciate your suggestions and I follow your further work to improve areas I need.

@everyone ty for your comments and support, I do appreciate.

Yea is a remake of the audacity, is weird this map had two different names... backstory of that: I misuploaded the video on my channel and I gave it a random name: "audacity" then it became official somehow :)

Hi @Olrox,

Just a question, will you also provide us this map as version 3 of the AudacityRO map since the version 1 has alot of bugs?

Also does the Exclusivity Fee that we availed still count? I know its been 2 years since you released it to us but I guess its better to ask.

Throwback! A video featuring the audacity v1 map!

• Upvote 1

I will answer your questions by PM this thread is about another map.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:25 PM, Olrox said:

I will answer your questions by PM this thread is about another map.

I don't quite understand, this is the same map(as shown in the vid) that you did for us 2 years ago right?

I also tried to PM you but there was no answer:

U5PyuPt.jpg

Edited by Skyline
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Skyline

By PM I mean, either rAthena, Facebook or Discord. I have said for months that I'm would not prefer to use skype, (I only use discord now) I often dont get any messages as is bugged. My skype account is from and running logs since 2008 or so that's part of the reason.

Also I made publicly that I was not taking commissions of new maps or fixes of pre existing ones back in that day. Reasons are beyond of this thread.

Now I have to be sorry if I answer late on here, but didn't hear your PM yet and I'm not very aware of this thread. To answer now : the map you see now, is indeed based but clearly not the same as it was rework years later. The exclusive doesn't applies on further new works made on this condition, some of that is added on a text file you get on each RAR. I would like to add to the record I'm not offering any exclusive maps anyways - pre existing or further works, reasons are again, public to my followers on Facebook.

I would like to, however, provide you this version as a compensation since you asked, I'll look further on your msg.
Edited by Olrox

Oh 10/10 score