What Client to use?

ItsMonoXD

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19

Hello everyone,

i'm not completely new to making my own ragnarok server, but the last time was ages ago. I already setup the server with VS and MySQL.

I can start it fine too. I just need to know what client i should actually use to connect to my server :/ Probably a rather dumb question but with all those different versions i just didn't know what i have to do to get a working client for my own local server.

I hope somebode can help me with this :) I got my rathena server files directly from git so they should be up-to-date, right?

• Upvote 1

9 answers to this question

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

You get +1 internet points for calling it a "local server" instead of an "offline server". Most people wrongly use "offline server" to say they're using it locally.

You get another +1 internet points for using git instead of a downloadable package from someone else.

There are many many clients you can use, it's just upto you which features you want. I'd start by having a look at the diff'able clients here https://rathena.org/board/forum/99-client-releases/ first, or if you want to use an older one, they're attached to the "2015 clients" thread under Development News here 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  267

4 hours ago, ItsMonoXD said:

Hello everyone,

i'm not completely new to making my own ragnarok server, but the last time was ages ago. I already setup the server with VS and MySQL.

I can start it fine too. I just need to know what client i should actually use to connect to my server :/ Probably a rather dumb question but with all those different versions i just didn't know what i have to do to get a working client for my own local server.

I hope somebode can help me with this :) I got my rathena server files directly from git so they should be up-to-date, right?

If you're going to use it for your own local server. Might as well try the 2017 client since its supported in rAthena. I prefer to use 2017-01-25 because its stable for me. The only thing that's not working for me in that client is the connect to twitter via settings option and the gstorage check in the guild. Other than that its working fine.

Yes your git should be up to date but since rA always release updates you should always pull the updates to make sure you are on the updated copy of rA.

Regards!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Akkarin said:

You get +1 internet points for calling it a "local server" instead of an "offline server". Most people wrongly use "offline server" to say they're using it locally.

You get another +1 internet points for using git instead of a downloadable package from someone else.

There are many many clients you can use, it's just upto you which features you want. I'd start by having a look at the diff'able clients here https://rathena.org/board/forum/99-client-releases/ first, or if you want to use an older one, they're attached to the "2015 clients" thread under Development News here

I'm glad I could appeal to you :D Thanks for your time and help :) I will take a look into that!

13 hours ago, iAmGnome said:

If you're going to use it for your own local server. Might as well try the 2017 client since its supported in rAthena. I prefer to use 2017-01-25 because its stable for me. The only thing that's not working for me in that client is the connect to twitter via settings option and the gstorage check in the guild. Other than that its working fine.

Yes your git should be up to date but since rA always release updates you should always pull the updates to make sure you are on the updated copy of rA.

Regards!

Thank you! I will see which version fits my needs then^^ Guess i won't need gstorage and the twitter connection at first, so maybe that's the right version for me :)

I just took a look at the Client releases, but I don't really know what I need exactly. There were some full kRo clients some simple versioned ragexe.exe files

How do I tell my local server which version is good to use to connect and play on my server? Is there like a guide that gives Information about it? Like what do i have to do if i want to make my server public?

I'm kinda lost right now and could need a little push in the right direction  /hmm

13 minutes ago, ItsMonoXD said:

I just took a look at the Client releases, but I don't really know what I need exactly. There were some full kRo clients some simple versioned ragexe.exe files

How do I tell my local server which version is good to use to connect and play on my server? Is there like a guide that gives Information about it? Like what do i have to do if i want to make my server public?

I'm kinda lost right now and could need a little push in the right direction  /hmm

I assume you are using windows. And if yes, you can follow the guide provided by Wiki of rA. Link: https://github.com/rathena/rathena/wiki/Install-on-Windows

For a game client to work you need base file such as client files. By this, you need to download kRO files. (disregard the ragexe in the kRO clients since they are not unpacked).

There's a guide that gives information about it and I think its on the Development News Section. To make your server public, you need to do some routing to the net. If you want to use your own desktop you need to open ports/NATS/port forwarding and etc. (Not familiar with this) or just rent a VPS.

• MVP 1

Thank you very much for your fast reply!

18 minutes ago, iAmGnome said:

For a game client to work you need base file such as client files. By this, you need to download kRO files. (disregard the ragexe in the kRO clients since they are not unpacked).

So if i understood it correctly after some research, I need to download a kRo client? I was wondering because of specific versions, like what happens if you update the client using the patcher.... But as it seems the patcher don't update kRo clients anymore? Like they are fixed versions? If I understand this correctly i could download a complete 2017-01-25 kRo client and run that to connect to my server?

And what i meant by: "how to tell my server which client is good to use"

If i use a client from 2017-01-25 and someone uses another client version. Does this work? Or is there a config that specifically says only client version 2017-01-25 is allowed to connect? I already used the tutorial you gave me to setup my local server and there was nothing regarding that topic.

3 minutes ago, ItsMonoXD said:

So if i understood it correctly after some research, I need to download a kRo client? I was wondering because of specific versions, like what happens if you update the client using the patcher.... But as it seems the patcher don't update kRo clients anymore? Like they are fixed versions? If I understand this correctly i could download a complete 2017-01-25 kRo client and run that to connect to my server?

And what i meant by: "how to tell my server which client is good to use"

If i use a client from 2017-01-25 and someone uses another client version. Does this work? Or is there a config that specifically says only client version 2017-01-25 is allowed to connect? I already used the tutorial you gave me to setup my local server and there was nothing regarding that topic.

Sorry to confuse you.

kRO Files are just base file for your server game client.

There'a a full tutorial in the Client Release section LINK: 

If you follow the link above, it will answer most of the question you have.

Some answer to your question though:

If i use a client from 2017-01-25 and someone uses another client version. Does this work? - No only one client date is allowed to connect. If they connect with different date there will be packet issues.

Is there a config that specifically says only client version 2017-01-25 is allowed to connect? - Yes its on src/config/packet.h and its under #define PACKETVER

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iAmGnome said:

Sorry to confuse you.

kRO Files are just base file for your server game client.

There'a a full tutorial in the Client Release section LINK: 

If you follow the link above, it will answer most of the question you have.

Some answer to your question though:

If i use a client from 2017-01-25 and someone uses another client version. Does this work? - No only one client date is allowed to connect. If they connect with different date there will be packet issues.

Is there a config that specifically says only client version 2017-01-25 is allowed to connect? - Yes its on src/config/packet.h and its under #define PACKETVER

THAT's exactly what I needed! Thank you again! :D