host doing something fishy?

Erio-chan

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  97

I found this on my client so I post it here. I buy a Ragnarok dedicated host so they provide me everything all working server, patcher, flux and client but not configured yet. I have a working offline server, flux, patcher and client. so I decided to use it. I use my client(offline) to my server (online) but It not works even if it well configured. so I decided to use the full client provided by host and it work very well. so I replace all my grf with my grfs from my offline client but it turns out not connecting with the server. after few test I found the problem, I need to use the main.grf that they provide so that exe will connect to the server. very suspicious right? then I back to working on my server and client but custom maps and even the new prontera is crashing (https://rathena.org/board/topic/113006-client-crash-in-custom-map/#comment-334589). so I decided to report and make a Ticket but they respond that they have no concern regarding of customization in RO. so I decided to search answer by my self here in rAthena. after few research I found out my client is the problem. I use 2013-12-23cRaexe (they provided) too old right? so I use latest exe that I DL here but nothing can connect to the sever. only the exe and grf that they provide can connect the server. so I search inside their main.grf with grf editor and I found something suspicious inside book folder (see pic below) a very long unknown code and a clientinfo.xml configuration at the end. this file is only need by the exe that they provide to connect to the server even if I delete all files and remain this one.  I think host is restricting me from editing my RO. so sad. /wah/sob did any one have same problem with me? or any one have answer to this problem?

1.png

2.png

Edited by Erio-chan

3 answers to this question

• Group:  Content Moderator
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1676

hosts are for hosting only

do not use there files make your own custom ones

even if their files work and perfect you batter make your own files so you know everything about it

>>>>>>>>>>

as long as you have access to ssh and sftp or ftp as root then you have the full control

you can easily remove the rathena they put and place the last rathena and use the last kro files with last unpacked client 

if you know how then it's better then using their files anyway! (if you needed something from their files just extract it and use it with your own files :P)

it's easy if you Believe in yourself *Anime*

• Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1302

Maybe it was an encypted grf.

Just make new grf.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1137

Let me guess you are using gamanilia host or whatever name it is

They diff their clients to read custom client.xml which they locate it at book folder 7372.txt or something and they fill the top of the file with lots of unknown characters to make it looks like any other file in book folder

So the purpose of it keeping your client.xml details safely <<- atleast what they say

Nothing suspicious there,

And I am assuming the main.grf they provided you is a translated grf , which is normal again

If you want to use your own client and your own grf ,

1. diff your own client 

2.modifyclient.xml 

3.update your new client version in Server side

4. Add your custom grf name in data.ini