[Guide]: Lightweight compiler for Windows for replacement heavy Visual Studio IDE. Compile rAthena faster. Save your bandwidth and disk space.

anacondaq

For what are you need Visual Studio?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  228

Since vc++ 2017 v141 toolset (x86 x64)  is not available

on previous post you mentioned to use visual c++ build tools from workload page 

is that you are suggesting??  to install to skip or avoid installing the huge default installation??

If it is so, that makes the download size up to 3.19GB may include installed sizes too.

Notes: 

Window is running 7 x32 if that matters since you stated yours running win10

Edited by utofaery

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1096

After a lot of testing, the guide is NOT actual for 2019 MSBuild tools. Because the size of the community build tools is about 4.6GB, while the WHOLE installation of the complete package required for rAthena is just 5.6GB or 6.6GB with IDE. This is not worth it.

If you wish to save your internet traffic and disk space, I have for you a piece of bad news...
The only way is to use old 2017 build tools and downloading them from somewhere...

An alternative method will be cygwin like packages, but they are not compatible with rathena only source code after last changes with epoll changes, yaml crap libs inside include dirs which implemented not properly and not only.  All of these things make impossible to use 300mb archive with compiler and cygwin for compiling the emulator (see my another topic in Projects and Concepts). 

What to do?

• or install buildtools for VS2017
  • or install buildtools for VS2015
  • or install Visual Studio 2013
  • The size will be less than in latest VS 2019

?

compile.cmd for VS Buildtools 2019

@Echo OFF
Echo "Building solution/project file using batch file"
SET PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\MSBuild\Current\Bin
SET SolutionPath=%~dp0\rAthena.sln
Echo Start Time - %Time%
MSbuild.exe %SolutionPath% /p:PlatformToolset=v142 /m
Echo End Time - %Time%
Set /p Wait=Build Process Completed...

Just copy-paste it to compile.cmd if you're using buildtools 2019, and copy-paste compile.cmd to your rathena folder, and run, it will compile the code without VS Studio Community 2019 IDE

Edited by anacondaq

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4

On 6/8/2019 at 3:54 AM, anacondaq said:

compile.cmd for VS Buildtools 2019

@Echo OFF
Echo "Building solution/project file using batch file"
SET PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\MSBuild\Current\Bin
SET SolutionPath=%~dp0\rAthena.sln
Echo Start Time - %Time%
MSbuild.exe %SolutionPath% /p:PlatformToolset=v142 /m
Echo End Time - %Time%
Set /p Wait=Build Process Completed...

Just copy-paste it to compile.cmd if you're using buildtools 2019, and copy-paste compile.cmd to your rathena folder, and run, it will compile the code without VS Studio Community 2019 IDE

Hello Anacondaq,

First of all, thank you for all of your guidance that guide newbie and amateur like me,

my deepest condolance for your topic about really really really easy rathena install... had to be blocked by admin.

I'm quite upset with that... i learned a lot from your topic there.

But here you are still helping newbie... thank you once again...

I'm going to level up my understanding about Rathena, and i would like to turn on adjust skill damage but i have to compile the server,

(FYI, i use your rathena package, thank God i still have a chance to get it before it closed)

and i think i dont have many option but to use VS2019...

Can you help to guide me which box i have to thick for VS2019 downloader so it can compatible with your compile.cmd.

Thank you.

1.jpg

• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89

A much faster and easier way that worked for me is installing node.js.
Once installing it, simply open Windows Powershell as Admin then run `npm install windows-build-tools -g`
After that, open start menu and find MSBuild Command Prompt. Then go to your rAthena dir and build using `msbuild`.
You could also try finding where `msbuild.exe` is located then add it to your path for much easier access.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3

Its year 2020 now, I decided to install Visual Studio Build tools but its 2019 there's no 2017, and when I go to Individual Components there is no

*Windows Universal C Runtime, Visual Studio C++ Build Tools Core Feature etc . . . .

What should I do?

Can someone help me ? , I'm just a newbie hehehe

Untitled.png

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  52

2022 here,

To download the 2017 version, you need to scroll down the page a bit, and find  and click "Visual Studio Express" text link.

Then scroll down again and click on "Express 2017 for Windows Desktop" to download the web installer.

While it say "Express", you can still choose the VS Community 2017 later.

*if the open up windows is empty, you need to close the optional window first, then choose the Community Editon in the [Available] Tab

When you choose the SDK Individual Component with Windows 10, you have to download "Windows 10 SDK".

There is no Windows 8.1 SDK in Windows 10, but you can find it if your pc/laptop have Windows 7 installed.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  45

Can we have a list of the needed programs for people who do have the space as I have noticed its just all about old programs that are not listed anymore.

I would like to just select the correct pack needed from the list and install as download size dose not matter.

So far I just installed the C++ pack, looked like it came with everything needed, but in 2023 I think its best to check with the up to date generation as its been 13 years I last set up my RO server and I am just getting back into setting up another one. ? (So excited)

Posted image just to check that it has everything

Already installed - Desktop Development with C++

Hope that covers everything needed.

image.thumb.png.03f090454baed485046a9de3209e8358.png

Edited by Nightmare_Eng