[Free Release] The only template map you will ever need

Sage

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  111

fdf64a7b1e65490411d8d3c8293bd3da.png

The Best RO Template Map Ever Made

This is the best RO template map in the world, and the only one that you will ever need to use, for every single map you will ever make. I made this template sometime in early to mid 2012 and have used it on every single map I've made since. You might be asking yourself why this is so much better than taking an existing RO map and using the 'Clear Map' function like a chump, so I'll run down a list of reasons why this template is better than every other template you might already be using.

It's really big.

This is a 200x200 map template. It's as big as the biggest field/town maps in RO. You won't always need to use all of that space, but why start mapping on a smaller map and run out of room when you can map on the biggest possible map size and just make your leftover space invisible tiles?

It provides a 4x4 grid for placing textures.

The vast majority of ground textures in RO are scaled to be placed down at 4x4 tiles (or 8x8 cells ingame) in size. The entire map is arranged in a convenient grid so that you can place textures down according to this size, and then deviate from the grid to make things look better without fear of breaking symmetry or getting things misaligned.

The center is easily identifiable.

A grass texture has been placed in the center of the map, and two small black squares have been placed at the map edges lining up with the center. If you want to create multiple field maps that connect to one another seemlessly, this makes it very easy to do that. You can make all sorts of measurements that will help you in planning your map and scaling things, as well. This combined with the grid makes it easy to plan/scale everything from the moment you start mapping.

You can quickly replace the entire map with a ground texture.

Scroll down through the textures on the map and select the second black texture, just below the dirt texture. It looks like this. Open the texture select window, and shift+click the texture you want to fill the map. It'll replace all the black squares on the map (except those 1x1 squares at the edges) with your ground texture of choice. This means you don't need to waste 5 minutes filling your forest map with grass textures like some sort of inefficient gorilla.

You can customize it however you want.

I have a few variations of this template map I keep for my own use, with model sets that I can duplicate easily. (Like trees or boats or houses made up of many smaller objects.) If you're making many maps that all have something similar in them, you can save another copy of this template with whatever you want loaded on there.

You can download this map by clicking Here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why are there a bunch of Prontera/Sograt textures on the list?

I made this in 2012 and never bothered getting rid of them. Deal with it.

Edited by Sage
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  545

This is something that might save a lot of people new to mapping that overlook the height adjustments they need to make to water. Not necessary but why do you use black boarders and not pink? It makes basically no difference, just curious.

EDIT: Could also clear out the unused textures. I think this would be a big help for newbies who will have to scroll past them every time and never know what to do! XD

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

Edited by Azura Skyy
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  111

1 hour ago, Azura Skyy said:

This is something that might save a lot of people new to mapping that overlook the height adjustments they need to make to water. Not necessary but why do you use black boarders and not pink? It makes basically no difference, just curious.

EDIT: Could also clear out the unused textures. I think this would be a big help for newbies who will have to scroll past them every time and never know what to do! XD

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

I wasn't aware of pink borders back when I made this half a decade ago, and haven't bothered changing it since it works just fine.

In regards to the unused textures: Refer to FAQ

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

The center is easily identifiable.

A grass texture has been placed in the center of the map, and two small black squares have been placed at the map edges lining up with the center. If you want to create multiple field maps that connect to one another seemlessly, this makes it very easy to do that. You can make all sorts of measurements that will help you in planning your map and scaling things, as well. This combined with the grid makes it easy to plan/scale everything from the moment you start mapping

Nice idea. I struggle to connect field maps, and thats a clever way to do that.

I'll use your template from now, gives a lot of advantages. I'm not sure how many guys gets how useful this can be, but I myself, find it a must to use now.

Thx for the release ;)