rAthena vs Hercules

Lavenblade

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8

First and foremost, I want to say this post is to remain drama free as I've seen several drama related posts while browsing and that is not why I am making this thread. This thread is for informational purposes and will be based around fact, not opinion. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking, but I had to attempt and gather some information before making a choice on which emulator to invest my time in.

I have the following questions, and I'd be grateful if people would help me find answers to my questions based on fact, not personal opinion.

1. Which emulator offers better performance? Is the performance increase substantial?
  2. Is Hercules Forums/Github usually this quiet? This is by no means me being disrespectful, I understand everyone here volunteers their time and effort.
  3. Would you agree that rAthena is both more active on the forums and Github vs Hercules?
  4. Is rAthena ahead feature wise when it comes to newer clients?
  5. Does newer clients and said features all work with Pre-RE? I'm talking 2015+.
  6. Does rAthena yet support RODEX?
  7. How is the community here? This one is more or less an opinion. Keep it civil and drama free.
  8. Does rAthena support Debian 8?
  9. Last but not least, do you expect rAthena will be around with active developers for the foreseeable future? Not entirely a fact based question either, but I had to ask.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  171

I use both emulators for testing purposes and to answer the pre-re question I have no issues using a 2015 client with pre re but please check the development news forum for supported client and features.  is rAthena ahead of Hercules in terms of features and updates? sure depending on what you are looking for the emulator does support a higher client version officially granted a few features are yet to be implemented. Hercules does have a few things that we don't currently have( I wont get into detail about that) and they do have a very cool and useful plugin system, but I still think rAthena is better the community in my opinion is a lot more active @Akkarin is doing a great job maintaining it so I see a bright future for the emulator.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your feedback!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1137

There is plenty of threads in hercules and rathena regarding this post, you can just browse them

Both emulators have pros and cons

You must chose emulator as your needs,

hercules is ahead with only attractive system which plugin system (and people say it consumes less ram and good for pre-re systems) 

For me i say rathena is much ahead in other stuff like huge community, support, good developing team,bug solving, tracking,  releases etc etc etc

Hercules support is almost dead(my feeling though) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your input. I've seen these threads, but they're all opinion based. Everyone that says Hercules because x, y, z has opposing rAthena members using the exact same statements. That is why I asked specific questions in my original post that can be answered factually rather than opinion based.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can answer my questions above, because most of them will provide me with the information I need to make an educated choice. Thanks again.

Edited by Lavenblade

• Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  545

2 hours ago, Cyro said:

hercules is ahead with only attractive system which plugin system (and people say it consumes less ram and good for pre-re systems) 

Moderator bias at play perhaps but rAthena's goal is to be as close to official as possible whereas my understanding is Hercules is keen on providing more customization/plugins. Our community is certainly active and the development and forum manager commit a lot of time to the project. Support can be found in the forums and we have a community discord channel for chatting about whatever.

Will rA be around with developers for the foreseeable future? Yes. Hopefully not getting in trouble by providing information but we've recently received an application for a development team position. I consider that outstanding news- especially when you take this thread into consideration. Steps like this look bright to me!

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

5 hours ago, Lavenblade said:

I have the following questions, and I'd be grateful if people would help me find answers to my questions based on fact, not personal opinion.

1. Which emulator offers better performance? Is the performance increase substantial?
  2. Is Hercules Forums/Github usually this quiet? This is by no means me being disrespectful, I understand everyone here volunteers their time and effort.
  3. Would you agree that rAthena is both more active on the forums and Github vs Hercules?
  4. Is rAthena ahead feature wise when it comes to newer clients?
  5. Does newer clients and said features all work with Pre-RE? I'm talking 2015+.
  6. Does rAthena yet support RODEX?
  7. How is the community here? This one is more or less an opinion. Keep it civil and drama free.
  8. Does rAthena support Debian 8?
  9. Last but not least, do you expect rAthena will be around with active developers for the foreseeable future? Not entirely a fact based question either, but I had to ask.
  1. Performance as far as RAM goes, Hercules has the edge, but not by much.
  2. Forums can be quiet during off days, while Github can be quiet on either project when the devs are working on things in the background before a PR is submitted.
  3. They're similar.
  4. We aim to emulate kRO, so features are coded when the devs get time. There's no timeline or checklist that states which emulator has which feature enabled, but from what i've seen, rAthena is producing the code for these systems slightly ahead of Hercules.
  5. Newer clients are all RE. They -can- be used on a Pre-RE server, but you shouldn't expect them to work as they should.
  6. It's being cleaned up ready to throw into a PR.
  7. We're lovely.
  8. Yes, we certainly do!
  9. We have no intention of deserting our posts! Many of the members of staff here have invested too much time in this project to simply walk away now.
  • Upvote 3

Awesome, thank you so much for answering all of my questions-

I'm looking forward to checking out rAthena and what the community has to offer. :)

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  14

Well Smoke just released the Official Achievement on Hercules. So unlike rAthena they have it now :P 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  249

2 hours ago, fr0sty123456789 said:

Well Smoke just released the Official Achievement on Hercules. So unlike rAthena they have it now :P 

The Achievement system is in both emulators in a review progress. See:

https://github.com/rathena/rathena/pull/2044

https://github.com/HerculesWS/Hercules/pull/1666

Cool thing by the way :)

Edited by Jey

4 hours ago, fr0sty123456789 said:

As did we. Ours also includes the Title system while theirs doesn't. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Akkarin said:

As did we. Ours also includes the Title system while theirs doesn't. 

I see on rAthena Github it says server mode: Renewal. Does it not work for Pre-RE?

No, PRE-RE clients don't have the Achievements interface.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Akkarin said:

No, PRE-RE clients don't have the Achievements interface.

I should be able to run a Renewal client with Pre-RE mechanics though, right? Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: It says server mode, so I assumed that server side had to be running Renewal mode.

Edited by Lavenblade

13 minutes ago, Lavenblade said:

It says server mode, so I assumed that server side had to be running Renewal mode

Correct.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Akkarin said:

Correct.

That's really unfortunate. Are there any plans to allow PreRE servers to keep up with the latest clients and features? This is actually a big thing for me.

No - the pre-re/classic official servers don't get the newer renewal features, so to change our structure and mission to enabled all features for all types of servers and all clients is a little pointless.

While newer clients can be used for pre-re servers, some of the features are client dependant, some of them can only be used in RE mode (due to specific NPCs, items and mobs). If you want to use something like achievements on a pre-re server, you'd need to use a newer RE client and modify elements of the server to suit the requirements. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  112

I'm gonna hit you with the realest real post here.

• If you're actually running a server that is pre-RE, Herc and rA might as well be the same.
  • Out of the box: rA is better at RE, Herc is more customizable.
  • If you're a decent programmer, pick whatever you like. You'll be writing custom systems anyway on either.
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sketchyphoenix said:

I'm gonna hit you with the realest real post here.

• If you're actually running a server that is pre-RE, Herc and rA might as well be the same.
  • Out of the box: rA is better at RE, Herc is more customizable.
  • If you're a decent programmer, pick whatever you like. You'll be writing custom systems anyway on either.

Yeah, from what I gathered rA has the upper hand when it comes to active developers and development speed. The only thing I don't like is that RE client features don't work while the server is running in PreRE mode.

I like to think I'm a decent jack of all trades programmer, but I'm so bad at C that I won't ever come near it. I don't even like C++, just because I'm more used to languages similar to C#, Java, Etc. I really want to avoid going deep into C source code as much as possible.

Once again, I'm just trying to find the emulator that works best for me. It's looking like out of the box Hercules supports PreRE servers to make use of the newer, more modern RE clients and the features those clients bring.

Thank you everyone for providing constructive feedback and helping me decide which of these two amazing emulators was most suited for my projects needs.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  399

On 4/10/2017 at 3:40 PM, Lavenblade said:

Yeah, from what I gathered rA has the upper hand when it comes to active developers and development speed. The only thing I don't like is that RE client features don't work while the server is running in PreRE mode.

Well this is not related to the emulator anymore.. starting 2016-06-xx client onwards.. gravity packed the non-RE client with dual layer themida protection.. in more simple language, the non-RE client is now got encrypted.. so, for the 2016 client release onwards, perhaps we couldn't see anymore non-RE client will be released.. but until today, u still can grab 2015-11-04aRagexe client (non-RE).. this client should be work fine on pre-RE server.. but, u need to disable summoner job on creation on character selection menu..

1 hour ago, hazimjauhari90 said:

Well this is not related to the emulator anymore.. starting 2016-06-xx client onwards.. gravity packed the non-RE client with dual layer themida protection.. in more simple language, the non-RE client is now got encrypted.. so, for the 2016 client release onwards, perhaps we couldn't see anymore non-RE client will be released.. but until today, u still can grab 2015-11-04aRagexe client (non-RE).. this client should be work fine on pre-RE server.. but, u need to disable summoner job on creation on character selection menu..

The RE in those clients means it's a Sakray client. All clients since 2013 are Renewal clients.

And yes, topic hijacking.