Paid Files Open to All Groups

Akkarin

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

This afternoon I enabled all groups on the forums to be able to upload their work to Files and put a price on them. What does this mean? Two things.

Firstly, it means that any user on the forum is able to charge for their uploaded File. This has proven to be profitable in more ways than just of a monetary value. In the past, amazing features, code, maps, sprites, images, etc were created knowing that hard work would be met with funds in their account to either spend on the forums, or request via paypal. This encouraged a higher standard of working which produced a large number of projects.

Secondly, it means that rAthena can survive for longer without further cashflow injections from elsewhere. Donations are marvellous, but they don't cover the monthly costs. Paid Files have a Tax value of 20% which covers the paypal fees and ensures that a few cents are kept in rA's coffers. Over the course of a month, these values would help to pay for our hosting.

All paid files will be approved by either @Aleos or myself to begin with. The approval process will be strict - if your file is not of high quality, it will be rejected. Files that were previously uploaded to the forums when Nexus was alive no longer exist. If you had a paid file and want to charge for it, you will need to re-upload it (I deleted them all when i found that moderators had still been downloading them after they were hidden during my absence last year).

If you run into any problems with permissions, please let me know as soon as possible via Forum PM!

• Upvote 6

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235

(I deleted them all when i found that moderators had still been downloading them after they were hidden during my absence last year).

So, no wonder why? most paid files got a lot of downloads because they're using superior Member as Moderator. I would suggest don't let 'Moderators' able to download the file. they must PAID it before they can download the certain files.

• Upvote 2

Er.. no, not "no wonder why". No one except an admin has ever been able to download a file without paying for it. When the system was removed, the paid files were all hidden. Because the system was no longer in use, paid files were free to download by anyone who could see the hidden Files. From the logs, this only happened with 1 moderator and he is no longer a member of staff. Admittedly this should've been managed better while I was away for many months.

That's why I said only Aleos and I can approve them. Don't get your knickers in a twist and come up with your own version of events that aren't accurate. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  235

At least you know my side I was concern about the Paid Files, before it was fucked up and you've been inactive on that time even Brian disappears.
I'm just concern about the who put Paid Files on the Download Section.

I paid a lot of scripts from Download Section which is no longer available and i lost them all. i don't wanna everyone will be messed up again.
Im just only concern members as A CLIENT here. i hope you undeerstand my opinion and my side.

Thank you! looking forward.

10 hours ago, Kaze said:

before it was fucked up and you've been inactive on that time

Yes, i stepped down when i went into hospital.

I understand you have concerns, but please be assured that between Aleos and I, we have everything under control. I have no intention of developing cancer again, so i'm not going anywhere. We've been doing everything to ensure that rAthena remains on the up! Paid files is a two sided coin, as with anything that we introduce into the community, it gets talked about, we weigh up the pros and cons, then we talk to the staff (this has been in discussion since September last year), then we push it out to the community after we've made sure that a procedure is in place. Things that happened in the past can be learned from. This is one of those things that had a knock-on effect to other systems and deteriorated because it wasn't managed properly. We've learned from that mistake. If i wasn't confident that we could provide a service that every member of rAthena deserves, we wouldn't have re-introduced it.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

No reason to speak loud about past incidents imo

I myself ended to err, not enjoy the last system that much lol :P but anyways, one thing is true: there is dispposal by the current administration to fix things that turned out bad in the past. And thats gold.

Lets just see how it goes.

Edited by Olrox

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  120

Can I suggest removing the need of requiring approval of a new version of an already approved file?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeg said:

Can I suggest removing the need of requiring approval of a new version of an already approved file?

I'll consider it. Re-Approval is category-based instead of member group based, and i left the requirement because in the past users had uploaded a paid file, got it approved and then re-uploaded a .zip with just an image of the contents (thus producing issues with invoicing, paypal, chargebacks, headaches) or a text file with instructions to download from places like mediafire, which i want to avoid. Thankfully the community as a whole isn't as full of scammers as it once was, so i'll see how it goes and then perhaps reconsider :)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  120

Oups, I didn't know people did such things... Maybe another option could be ensuring that the original version of the file is always uploaded and can't be replaced. Thanks for taking it into consideration :)

Edited by Leeg

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  106

Is still using Free Downlord for Moderators?
Or only Free for Akkarin, Aleos because they have to Activate the files?

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  587

6 hours ago, Kinx said:

Is still using Free Downlord for Moderators?
Or only Free for Akkarin, Aleos because they have to Activate the files?

Mods can't download files for free.

Well, there are quite a lot Mods, or Staff Member Pay Files for Free I find something exaggerated. 

You could also get 10 ~ 15% discount for mods, for free........ Is too hard.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  171

9 minutes ago, Secrets said:

Mods can't download files for free.

did you forget to read the above message?. also I think most of the developers here most likely have no interest in acquiring mods they are busy providing you with FREE EMULATOR UPDATES for you to enjoy.

21 minutes ago, Kinx said:

Well, there are quite a lot Mods, or Staff Member Pay Files for Free I find something exaggerated. 

You could also get 10 ~ 15% discount for mods, for free........ Is too hard.

It's already been expressed multiple times in this thread, Moderators can't download Paid Files for free. There are no discounts, stop spinning theories. I've already told everyone that the only two people who are able to download these files without having to pay for them are Aleos and myself so we can approve them.

Okay, sorry that I bring here something restless :wacko:

• Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1546

I dont think its free for moderators. I've been a moderator but I required to pay for the file.

@Akkarin I think you mentioned this before that some moderators are downloading paid files while its hidden from the other post you made. and maybe thats why they're saying that.

Edited by Radian

17 hours ago, Radian said:

I think you mentioned this before that some moderators are downloading paid files while its hidden from the other post you made

How many times do i have to say that moderators don't have the ability to download paid files for free since the system was brought back to life.

I'm starting to get bored of going round in circles.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  545

On 4/12/2017 at 0:07 PM, Akkarin said:

Content Moderator
In addition to having the ability to provide general forum moderation, the Content Moderator looks after our Files app and various plugin content. Moderation areas for this role are Files, Server Database, Jobs Available, Awards.

As you can see my forum position is supposed to preside over downloads and such yet I have no access to paid files. I do not approve them, I do not download them, I can only buy them. Rest assured its all on the level at rAthena!

Since there seems to be a misunderstanding I've provided images so you might see what I see from my Content Moderator privileged account. First image is a side by side comparison of a free file (left) and a paid file. If I opt to select the Buy Now option for the paid file I end up on the 2nd image you see.

zywhm7h.png

EENCqsE.png

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

Edited by Azura Skyy
Clarifying, reorganizing paragraphs, added a link
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1096

The best what can be done to avoid any drama with people who don't trust to staff it's a little bit change way how files will be stored and sold.

Just scenario:

1. Content Owner archive his work into zip or rar archive with password (only client will know the password)
  2. Then he upload it to paid services his password protected archive
  3. Someone buying the file via paypal and got access to file to download
  4. thena IPB or any custom script generate for content owner email notification with details who bought it.
  5. content owner or manually or autoresponce for the received message from rathena with information about buyer a secret pass of password protected archive directly to buyer email
  6. no one 3rd-party guy got access to file because of password
  7. all happy
  8. ????
  9. profit
Edited by Anacondaqq

In theory, yes. Though we don't approve files that can't be tested. Perhaps there's something we could do for that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

6 hours ago, Anacondaqq said:

The best what can be done to avoid any drama with people who don't trust to staff it's a little bit change way how files will be stored and sold.

Just scenario:

1. Content Owner archive his work into zip or rar archive with password (only client will know the password)
  2. Then he upload it to paid services his password protected archive
  3. Someone buying the file via paypal and got access to file to download
  4. thena IPB or any custom script generate for content owner email notification with details who bought it.
  5. content owner or manually or autoresponce for the received message from rathena with information about buyer a secret pass of password protected archive directly to buyer email
  6. no one 3rd-party guy got access to file because of password
  7. all happy
  8. ????
  9. profit

Nah, I find this cumbersome with too much work. I mean so what? the guy who paid for the file now has your file and he can upload it free anywhere... it never ends.

Another point, who verifies the file if it is protected tho? I mean, so suppose this... now is rA that has to trust *me* to upload a file and trust that I'm uploading something good as they don't have access to check it.

I think that as an author, all you have is to trust at certain point and do your own decision to upload a file or not. You end to have traffic (a lot) thx to rA hosting, and might end with some cash in your pockets, but really? someone has to verify the files lol.

Just keep the system like it is now.

Edited by Olrox
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Olrox said:

the guy who paid for the file now has your file and he can upload it free anywhere...

he still can do it with any other model except encryption & anti-resale mechanisms which must be built-in inside content. My idea above about hidding content of files from staff / moderators to avoid dramas from people which cry "developers & moderators have access to all paid content for free and can do with it everything what they want and nobody will know about it"

2 minutes ago, Anacondaqq said:

My idea above about hidding content of files from staff / moderators to avoid dramas from people which cry "developers & moderators have access to all paid content for free and can do with it everything what they want and nobody will know about it"

But they don't have access to it for free.

Just now, Akkarin said:

But they don't have access to it for free.

but you have, aleos have, who else has access to web-server files?) My idea about it, it's just "suggestion". Personally me have nothing against it. But i saw some comment about it.

1 minute ago, Anacondaqq said:

who else has access to web-server files

No one. I have access to everything, Aleos has access to ACP. No one other than myself has access to the filesystem. I keep saying Aleos and I have access to them - i'm not going to approve a file that doesn't work.

People are still commenting about it because they like drama. Perhaps i should never have mentioned it, i only did so because i see no reason to hold back information about how systems failed in the past, especially when i'm trying to prove to the community that our current setup is far better than that of the previous admins. 

In future i won't bother. Don't mistake that for butthurt, i'm just getting bored of saying the same things all the time. Why does no one bother reading?

• Upvote 1