Old Versions of Official Character Sprites

Nazeji

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9

--------- Summarized ---------
I'm looking for these old Rebirth / Transcendent Character Sprites, and I've searched far and wide, and all I've been able to find are the images (at least there's still those though...), and a shit ton of broken links to data that could potentially have had them, but probably even not been quite in the correct range of dates (I just found the Dates of their announcement on kRO's site, so yeay at least there's something more to go by).
I have data on my computer that I kept from back then too, but it's also a little before, and after.... D:

I will seriously really thank anyone that could help with this~ if anyone can.

~ And if for some reason there's some obvious place to find them, or topics already made about them that I didn't see, I'm sorry about that.

--- Further Explanation (if you feel like reading more, because I tend to write a lot) ---
- What I would like to do is Collect all of the Character Sprites that were ever released. Sadly though, these older ones seem about non-existent. I've searched and searched and searched... on and on..., and I will keep doing so, but if anyone can help me out here with this, I'd seriously gladly appreciate it (plus the Palettes for them if possible); so far nothing but old broken links and downloads of data near the range when they were released, but probably not quite at the right points anyway. I'd imagine there's some deep corner on the internet where they exist though, or on someone's Hard Drive. I used to have the Female Assassin Cross with the Pants at some point (can't seem to find it on my computer now), so I'm pretty confident they all did exist as released Sprites, and not just concept art.
- I downloaded all of the Patch Files from the kRO, iRO, and jRO FTP Patch sites, and sadly kRO and iRO only have more recent data (I also read kRO shut down it's Sakray servers some time ago, which is pretty common knowledge apparently.... I've been out of the RO seen for many years), and jRO's updates were less frequent~ all I could find where releases of the Final version of the Rebirth / Transcendent Class Sprites.

- While several of these are kinda Blehh anyway, there are a few that I would really like to have, particularly the old Paladin Sprites, and Female High Wizard, and also the Clown looks kinda interesting as possible use for a better looking Bard lol. It would also be good to have the Palettes that went with them if do-able, for curiosity and just to have a complete set if it all.

- Either way, I'd like to just collect them all. And plus someday I may open a Private Server and it would be nice to allow people to choose their style when available. Just like how jRO has alternate 3rd Class Sprites, except I think it would be neat to do the same for other Classes which have Old versions of their Sprites.

- It would also be nice to have an easy to find place where other people could acquire them for those that also would like to have them (I would gladly host them too).

- I see there are also some hair styles that I don't seem to find in my current data files, or any that I'd had in the past, does anyone know if these were released? - (on the Male High Wizard and High Priest, Female Creator and Whitesmith, possibly the Male Whitesmith as well, the Male Sin X, Old Female Paladin, and it looks like also the New Male Paladin; looks like there's some others too, but w/e)

And also I do already have the original Rune Knight and its Palettes, so no problem there (even though really the new ones are what I prefer to use myself anyway, but yeah more options are definitely nice).

------------------------------------------
kRO News Page of the Original Versions - http://ro.gnjoy.com/news/update/View.asp?seq=32&curpage=6
kRO News Page of the Final Versions - http://ro.gnjoy.com/news/update/View.asp?seq=35&curpage=6

--- Original Versions on the Left, Final Versions on the Right ---
rebirth_2.gif  ~~~ final_2.gif

-------------------------
Additionally, can anyone confirm if the Female Guillotine Cross below with the wider shoulders and stance was ever released, or just concept / unfinished art? Same thing for the Rune Knights, also having differences in how they stand, although only slightly for them (Male's hand isn't on his Hip, and Female's arms and shoulders are barely different but w/e).
I feel pretty certain they're likely just unfinished versions, which would be a shame, because I really do like the Female GX a lot more than the current one.

Mock+up.PNG   vs -->Rune_Knight.png ~ Guillotine_Cross.png
Sorry these images are at 1x zoom, oh well...

Edited by Nazeji

11 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  94
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2192

Im not sure if you're going to find those. I've been trying to search for them too... =/ Quite hard.

Yeah... it's a shame how basically non-existent these are and almost any trace of them, especially considering how many people in the world have played RO.

I really hope someone out there's held onto their data.

It's possible I still have mine in some deep corner of my hard drive, but I don't think it had the Paladin Sprites.... I don't remember (at the time I wasn't at all aware that there were old versions of some sprites, I had just noticed the Sin X with pants, as I played Female Sin X normally... but thought it was just some alt. version).

I've searched through so much of it already (I used to be very disorganized back then though...), maybe if it's in some obscurely named / located .zip or Installer.... I'm pretty sure it's gone though. I also searched my drive for all "granny2" files, as that would pull up all RO Client Folders.

Another possibility may be RO Installation Discs, but with how delayed most Official Servers were in updating, I figure kRO are likely the only ones that had these Sprites, but I dunno. Might have to search Korean sites.... and that's a lot of Google Translate....

It was a major update when Rebirth Classes first came out of course (and looks like the old sprites lasted for 2 months), so hopefully they would have some Discs at that time.

Edited by Nazeji

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  354

well how I can expain...

Some of These sprites are the beta (or even alpha) versions of the sprites, they never got released by gravity, because they got changed soon after get started. Maybe some of them got released with rebirth update (just like said, maybe if you got luck you'll find a instalation disc with it).

Just like the new jRO Third job sprites, some of them got some changes before the release, and the previous beta version of the alt. sprite does not exist anymore, because the old version is replaced to the new during the spriting process.

Most of them are just Concepts

Edited by FXFreitas

I forgot to mention, I found the alternate Female GX Sprite image here (at least this particular very clear / crisp one) :
http://ro-projectrevolution.blogspot.com/2008/08/3rd-and-4th-migration-classes_4743.html

From the site: "-Official release of the design may vary to changes- " ~ Plus the post date is from 2008 (and looks like the post was made from the artist that worked on them...).

I figure these differences with the 3rd Classes is only Alpha / Beta art, but hoping they weren't changed to their final versions before a release lol. The Rune Knight differences aren't that important at all really, but yeah that original Female GX is certainly something that I would love to have.

Edited by Nazeji

• Topic Count:  166
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789

well how I can expain...

Some of These sprites are the beta (or even alpha) versions of the sprites, they never got released by gravity, because they got changed soon after get started. Maybe some of them got released with rebirth update (just like said, maybe if you got luck you'll find a instalation disc with it).

Just like the new jRO Third job sprites, some of them got some changes before the release, and the previous beta version of the alt. sprite does not exist anymore, because the old version is replaced to the new during the spriting process.

the sage and paladin was used asofficial sprite about 2-3 months wayback 2006 i think i saw it even in some private servers on that year also

well how I can expain...

the sage and paladin was used asofficial sprite about 2-3 months wayback 2006 i think i saw it even in some private servers on that year also
Thats why I said most, not all of them.

That's good to know specifically though, because the Paladin Sprites are the most important ones to me.

- - -
After that, the Female GX (I kinda doubt this one was released as a Sprite... but hmmmm), then the Female High Wizard, and finally the original Clown (because again, the Bard sprite just looks shitty to me and this could replace it lol)~ in those orders.
The rest of them, aren't that important to me personally other than to collect them if I can find them (since they look kinda shitty anyway).

Try to find a 2004 download link of RO client, I know, I know, is kinda hard, but not impossible.

I'll keep at it (with breaks lol)!! Yeah that's how I feel too. It's really hard, but it's gotta be out there somewhere.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2

15/10/2003 data.grf have paladin sprite?

Oppps sorry to answer back so late...
Nah 2003 is far too soon. From what I found, it would be the summer of 2004 that has them. End of June to the end of August (at least with kRO... not sure if any other official regions had them, but it's possible... and the dates would likely be vastly different than kRO, even up to even a year apart or so, as other regions were pretty delayed at staying current with the kRO releases).
Not a very long period of time to find them in unfortunately, but at least there's 2 months of Client dates that have them.

Here on the Official kRO site :
~ kRO Announcement ~ of Transcendent / Rebirth Classes - 2004.02.02 (February 2nd, 2004)
http://ro.gnjoy.com/news/update/View.asp?seq=28&curpage=6
----------------

~ Original Trancendent ~ Class Sprites - 2004.06.24  (June 24th, 2004)
http://ro.gnjoy.com/news/update/View.asp?seq=32&curpage=6

~ Final Transcendent ~ Class Sprite Update - 2004.08.31 (August 31st, 2004) - Although there's something that says "Coming soon" on this one (above the King's head)... I don't know if that's saying the Final versions of the Transcendent Classes were "coming soon", and this was just announcing them?
http://ro.gnjoy.com/news/update/View.asp?seq=35&curpage=6

Here's where I see the dates on the pages (it's small and easy to miss) :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vtt9bgxn5m8wk5k/kRO_OriginalTranscendentClass_ReleaseAnnouncementDate.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/uhnhxamlsfp2swc/kRO_FinalTranscendentClass_ReleaseAnnouncementDate.png