VPS RAM Usage

Tafsir

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18

Hi, Rathena.

Apologies me if I'm asking such newbie questions. I did some searching in rAthena and Hercules regarding my issue, but seems none and found one (almost same issue) but already in archived, and some links from eAthena (ya, no longer accessible). At first, I feel bad to post this question into rAthena forum, because this might unappropriate questions to be asked, but since my VPS provider no longer reply my several tickets to them (ya, they ain't wrong, they are human being too, might be something going on behind), I've lost my source to ask, since this is beyond my expertise and knowledge. And I believe rAthena having such a great friendly supportive teams. So I decide to ask my questions here (remind me if this is inappropriate).

Actually, My VPS experiencing 90% RAM usage (512 Mb, bought this package just for trial, I'm using this package as for beta phase, and planning to upgrade as soon as I got a few players, prompting these questions if there are any other way instead of upgrading RAM). Only less than 5 players join in-game. Most of it was used by Map-server. Crashes at some certain time.

Some infos regarding my VPS:
a. CPU Cores : 1 vCore
b. Memory: 512 MB
c. Burstable RAM: 1024 MB

d. Storage 10 GB SSD

e. Bandwidth: 200 GB (1Gbit)

f. CentOS 6

g. Renewal: 2013-07-08

Changes I did in src (most probably max. RAM usage from src):

aa. Renewal.h = //#define RENEWAL_CAST 

bb. Map.h = #define MAX_LEVEL 500

cc. Some Custom NPCs as provided in scripts_custom.conf

dd. No custom items

My questions are:
1. Can this changes (aa, bb) cause heavily RAM usage?
2. How can I reduce RAM usage?

3. Some say about optimized scripts, how to optimize it? How to determine optimized scripts?

4. I've read something regarding swap memory, how to do it? Can I do swaping? (I would like to follow Cydh method, bout I don't know how specifically target the /swapfile: https://rathena.org/board/topic/91695-ram-problem/?p=240876) I want my map-server to be swapped. My server file located in /root/desktop/rAthena/<map-server,etc>    or they automatically swapped to Burstable Memory if Guaranteed Memory is fulled? I attached image from Terminal, incase required some infos.

post-38918-0-97429500-1462028421_thumb.jpg

5. Is there by reducing/limiting player join in, it can reduce RAM usage?

Thank you so much rAthena, really sorry for such long questions. I'm really someone not in computer/it/network field. Making and playing RO is my passion. I'm starting from zero, and reading so much in rAthena forums, really help me much in improving my skills. Thank you rAthena.

And subsequently, I believe this can be great shares for other newbies to start venturing ROs private server.

post-38918-0-97429500-1462028421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tafsir

4 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1096

My questions are:

3. Some say about optimized scripts, how to optimize it? How to determine optimized scripts?

4. I've read something regarding swap memory, how to do it? Can I do swaping? (I would like to follow Cydh method, bout I don't know how specifically target the /swapfile: https://rathena.org/board/topic/91695-ram-problem/?p=240876) I want my map-server to be swapped. My server file located in /root/desktop/rAthena/<map-server,etc>    or they automatically swapped to Burstable Memory if Guaranteed Memory is fulled? I attached image from Terminal, incase required some infos.

Thank you so much rAthena, really sorry for such long questions. I'm really someone not in computer/it/network field. Making and playing RO is my passion. I'm starting from zero, and reading so much in rAthena forums, really help me much in improving my skills. Thank you rAthena.

And subsequently, I believe this can be great shares for other newbies to start venturing ROs private server.

1. No
  2. dynamic mobs: on, remove not used maps from loading to map-server + clean mapcache from not used maps, change virtualization from OpenVZ to KVM
  3. This is related to CPU used. All optimizations should be about BigO, link link link. You should not worry about it, because rAthena writed with C programming language, and it's really optimized because of that. Just avoid a lot of tasks inside loops. (regarding BigO)
  4. You already have swap on (at your screenshot) 1024MB. 
  5. Yes, but 0.1mb or 0.2mb, just avoid it, a lot of memory used because of map-cache & mysql-server, not because of connected players.

I suggest you to do next things:

1. Don't damage your brain by such questions, buy normal VPS from good provider, like OVH (3.5$ for 2GB ram KVM virtualization, ssd, ddos protection, bla bla bla ( 2gb ram more then enough for 2k+ players (except woe) ). eathena / rAthena / hercules require very good CPU (3.5Ghz - 4Ghz+ in very active WoE will be good).
  2. Don't use any OpenVZ virtualization, and don't trust to people who suggest to use OpenVZ, i can totally destroy any of their arguments easly, because OVZ not for game-servers. I can provide you tons of links related to this question, but it's not needed, because a lot of providers will cry here and will trow to me shit. Just avoid any OpenVZ virtualization, and you will save a lot of nervous and resources. 
  3. use SSD for your game-server, it's very well increase your game-server performance. 
  • Upvote 1

My questions are:

1. No
  2. dynamic mobs: on, remove not used maps from loading to map-server + clean mapcache from not used maps, change virtualization from OpenVZ to KVM
  3. This is related to CPU used. All optimizations should be about BigO, link link link. You should not worry about it, because rAthena writed with C programming language, and it's really optimized because of that. Just avoid a lot of tasks inside loops. (regarding BigO)
  4. You already have swap on (at your screenshot) 1024MB. 
  5. Yes, but 0.1mb or 0.2mb, just avoid it, a lot of memory used because of map-cache & mysql-server, not because of connected players.

I suggest you to do next things:

1. Don't damage your brain by such questions, buy normal VPS from good provider, like OVH (3.5$ for 2GB ram KVM virtualization, ssd, ddos protection, bla bla bla ( 2gb ram more then enough for 2k+ players (except woe) ). eathena / rAthena / hercules require very good CPU (3.5Ghz - 4Ghz+ in very active WoE will be good).
  2. Don't use any OpenVZ virtualization, and don't trust to people who suggest to use OpenVZ, i can totally destroy any of their arguments easly, because OVZ not for game-servers. I can provide you tons of links related to this question, but it's not needed, because a lot of providers will cry here and will trow to me shit. Just avoid any OpenVZ virtualization, and you will save a lot of nervous and resources. 
  3. use SSD for your game-server, it's very well increase your game-server performance. 

Hi Anacondaq!

Last but no least, 

1. Regarding OVH (or perhaps any other VPS provider), they provided OS such Windows and Linux.

I'm seeking your recommendation, which is better? Before this, i'm running on Linux CentOS for ROs, but now, I'm planning to run on Windows, because I'm not so familiar with Linux.

But I saw, many peoples like to run their ROs in Linux, is there any disadvantage running on Windows?

2. OVH also provided VPS SSD and VPS Cloud, and VPS Cloud seems to be more expensive. What is their differences?

Seems, only VPS Cloud provided Windows (OS).

3. Is it okay to run on unmanaged VPS? What basically do we need (software) to run on unmanaged VPS for ROs?

Before this, I purchased VPS which provides together with RO-setup. So, I'm a bit scared to run on unmanaged VPS, for a first time.

Anacondaq,

Thank you so much,

I'm so moved by your kindness and time spends to answer such questions. Thank you so much for your time, guidance and supports!

By the way, I'm really sorry for such newbie questions. But, I'm really do appreciated it, your knowledge and your shared! You did enlighten me.  :meow:

Edited by Tafsir
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  587

1. Regarding OVH (or perhaps any other VPS provider), they provided OS such Windows and Linux.

I'm seeking your recommendation, which is better? Before this, i'm running on Linux CentOS for ROs, but now, I'm planning to run on Windows, because I'm not so familiar with Linux.

But I saw, many peoples like to run their ROs in Linux, is there any disadvantage running on Windows?

2. OVH also provided VPS SSD and VPS Cloud, and VPS Cloud seems to be more expensive. What is their differences?

Seems, only VPS Cloud provided Windows (OS).

3. Is it okay to run on unmanaged VPS? What basically do we need (software) to run on unmanaged VPS for ROs?

Before this, I purchased VPS which provides together with RO-setup. So, I'm a bit scared to run on unmanaged VPS, for a first time.

1. Linux over Windows for a server.

Why? 

- Low resource requirement

- Safer

- Free

- Easier to recompile your server.

- Cheaper

3. Yes, it's okay! Don't be scared!

You may want to have a look at our setup guide on the wiki.

https://rathena.org/wiki/

• Upvote 2

Thank you guys, Secrets and Anacondaq!

I'm really appreciate all of your opinions and inspiring thought!

May your kindness return ^^