[WIP] Native Ragnarok Client

curiosity

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149

Woah! Awesome! I'll keep on checking this thread for updates.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  311

Sounds interesting :D hope this project will stay active

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  37

Amazing   /ok

Edited by Tragedy

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  265

Had been waiting to see a peek of this. Looks great Curiosity.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  513

Awesome job! Will be looking forward to this.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12

Amazing!

it's possible to reach the 2048x2048 resolution limit of original clients?

Edited by Kanner

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  135

Why not open source?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  133

Amazing!

it's possible to reach the 2048x2048 resolution limit of original clients?

Resolution is no problem with OpenGL rendering.

Why not open source?

Haven't decided yet. It's still not finished.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  513

Why not open source?

Haven't decided yet. It's still not finished.

I think development will be faster if you have inputs from different people especially on bug hunting and fixes. :)

Improvements continue. Most notably I finally added NPC shops.

nNCJbrM.png

I had completely forgotten there was a little window above the purchase window. Has that actually ever worked on any client? It's supposed to show how much your stats will be raised by buying a piece of equipment (by pulling attack and defense from itemparamtable.txt), but it seems completely broken.

• Upvote 5

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  17

I'm an iPhone guy, but after reading this topic, I've been thinking about getting an Android...

I don't remember that ever working actually.

I'm an iPhone guy, but after reading this topic, I've been thinking about getting an Android...

I'd love to port it to iOS as well, but I don't have a recent device. I think iPhone 5 and anything later would run it pretty well. Maybe I can pick one up for cheap sometime in the future. :)

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  17

I can't wait until that happen, I wish you have a smooth development process and continue to improve :D

A brief look at RagExe

Game Framework Class (GFC) is Gravity's own name for the game engine or application architecture used in Ragnarok Online. With the Ragnarok beta release in 2001, Gravity announced the finalization of GFC 2.0. But what exactly is GFC, and where did it come from? Most game developers use commercial proprietary engines for their games, while GFC is an in-house product by Gravity's RND-1 development division. In truth, it's misleading to call it a game engine, as GFC in its current form has been used in exactly one game and is tightly coupled to it. In all likelyhood the name GFC and the notion of a game engine are just buzzwords Gravity used in an attempt at impressing investors in their early days. However, my client is strictly based on Gravity's RagExe implementation, and I guess it can therefore be said to be a clone of GFC. Here's a brief look at its history.

Gravity Corp. was a relatively small developer before Ragnarok Online became an international success. Certainly no one outside of South Korea knew of them. In fact, right up until Ragnarok become ready for alpha testing they were still just Team Gravity. In 1999 they partnered up with Sonnori Entertainment in a joint venture to develop an action RPG. Arcturus: The Curse and Loss of Divinity was released with success in 2000. At this point Gravity obtained the rights to publish a game based on the popular Korean comic Ragnarök. They decided to reuse source code from Arcturus. While Arcturus and Ragnarok don't have much in common in terms of game play, resemblances can be noticed in aspects such as artistic style and music.

hwL1peC.png

Making Arcturus into the Ragnarok we know today required a severe overhaul of the code base. However, in many architectural decisions were left intact. What was retained became the base of GFC. 

Ragnarok, like Arcturus, is a 2.5D game. While Gravity at one point experimented with 3D actors in Ragnarok, the main focus has always been on sprite-based characters in a 3D world. Most of the file formats from Arcturus could therefore be reused directly in Ragnarok. This is one of the reasons why some of Gravity's file formats have strange features. For instance the world resource format (RSW) contains strings pointing to scripts files, a feature not used in Ragnarok. Some formats, like RSX (think RSM for actors) were retained and is still in the code base, but never used. A few formats from Arcturus you may know include:
  • SPR - indexed color bitmap format
  • ACT - actor animation
  • RSM - hierarchical 3D models with basic animation support
  • GND - tile based ground mesh
  • GAT - tile based property map
  • RSW - map format (defines a scene with objects)

They also made new formats, like the worthless IMF format that no one understand what is supposed to do... (Just kidding, IMF is used when combining ACT files for player characters, but it turns out it wasn't really necessary or useful. The client uses IMF offsets when drawing the player on the character select, which is probably why headgear sometimes looks a little wonky there. It also uses it for drawing order for player character sprites in-game.)

While based on DirectX 7.0, from a modern perspective GFC can be said to be software rendered. If you've ever wondered why Ragnarok uses so much CPU, that is why! Direct3D is only used as a glorified triangle rasterizer with blending and depth buffering. GFC has a fairly large entity-based actor system where every actor is responsible for rendering themselves every frame. There are a few principal object types: ground (GND), models (e.g. RSM) and game objects (actors, effects, etc). Rendering done by registering a render pass from with the renderer - basically a list of screen projected vertices and a texture. The renderer sorts the render passes by depth, opacity and other attributes, and draws everything at the end of each game cycle. This all makes for a pretty horrible design. Easy to work with, but unnecessarily taxing on the system. The only reason it worked in the first place is the low amount of polygons on the screen. (Typically below 10,000 triangles at any time.) 

Game objects communicate by passing messages around to each other. In Ragnarok, there is also a global state (the session) and the current game mode, which is responsible for tasks like processing input, creating actors, handling network messages and signalling actors.

kSMvNBS.png
The diagram above shows part of the base object hierarchy in Arcturus, which is pretty tall and convoluted. In Arcturus, each enemy needed its own class specialization. In comparison the diagram below shows the object hierarchy at the time of the Ragnarok alpha release. While simplified, the principal structure is the same. I have colored a few classes that provide similar functionality in the two games.

QmEqNrQ.png
CRenderObject is any type of object that is draw on the screen, while CGameActor is any object that can be interacted with. CPc is the object type for characters controlled by a player. CNpc covers static NPCs and monsters. In Arcturus you could interact with certain 3D models (e.g. doors, chests), so C3dActor was a part of the game object hierarchy. In Ragnarok, all 3D models are just decoration and not part of the game play and aren't considered game objects. (The exceptions to the rule are Granny actors and traps, the latter of which are actually RSM models drawn by a Skill object.)

From the Ragnarok alpha to commercial release the renderer was improved a bit, and the 2D actor system become more flexible. A few libraries from RAD Game Tools was integrated to provide sound, video playback and a more practical 3D format (namely GR2, thought it's only been used for a few models). Aside from that, not much has changed.
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Really cool stuff! Had never heard of Arcturus before.

Want to try Ragnarok for Android? There are a few bugs, and still some graphical issues with the OpenGL ES rendering, but it's possible to play already.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Have a somewhat recent Android phone or tablet. Supported architectures are armeabi-v7a and x86.
  2. Download the APK and install it on your device.
  3. You will need some game assets. If you have an old GRF around, maybe that will work. The client will look for data.grf and data2.grf. Both need to be present or it will crash on start. You can download this data pack that I'm currently using. Rename the BGM folder to lowercase. (I forgot to do this before uploading...)
  4. My client is based on the old Sakray clients and uses an outdated version of the client protocol. I'm not sure if rAthena can work with this packet version anymore. While I plan to add support for more recent emulators at some point, at present I suggest you should use this old version of eAthena for testing.
  5. After modifying clientinfo.xml to point to your login server, copy the data to your Android device. The client will request files from the "external" app data folder. Note that on most Android systems this seems to be the internal memory, though it can probably vary. On the devices I've tested, the path you should copy to is /sdcard/Android/data/com.ragnarok.ragexe/files. Just put the GRFs, music and data folder under there.
  6. At this point you should be able to play. The app doesn't shut down cleanly at present, so unfortunately you will have to force quit it from the app list if it crashes or you exit the app.
  • Upvote 5

• Content Count:  317

Seems like I've missed this one, I'll be following it from now though. Great work curiosity!

I'm so gonna try to run this android thing.

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  587

Do you have any plan to publish the client's source code?

I don't want to see another masterpiece of work left abandoned again. (Shinryo's client)

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  806

Wonder why I never saw this topic till now. Didn't know you put up a topic about it Curiosity :D . *Follow Mode ON*

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7

A brief look at RagExe

Too much good information to be hidden away in a form post. I took the liberty to copy this over the wiki: A brief look at RagExe. Thanks, curiosity!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  94
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2192

That looks amazing. Good work so far!

Not that much to report, but I do a little work every now and then. I implemented some more UI like storage and added some more skill effects. I have played "single player" from Novice to second job a couple of times now without encountering any missing features or major bugs. I can usually implement skill effects for a class in pretty short order. Since last time I've finished a lot of skills for blacksmith and hunter. 

KHYYG7Z.png

Do you have any plan to publish the client's source code?

I don't want to see another masterpiece of work left abandoned again. (Shinryo's client)

No plans at the moment, maybe in the future.

A brief look at RagExe

Too much good information to be hidden away in a form post. I took the liberty to copy this over the wiki: A brief look at RagExe. Thanks, curiosity!

Probably not too many people are interested in reading about things like that. Glad you liked it :)

• Upvote 3