256bmp with GIMP - HELP!

Berry

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20

I wanted to create a custom headgear sprite for a server, the pictures are done but I can't convert them to a .spr file.

It seems that GIMP won't actually save them in 256bmp, sometimes it says "8bit" in the data info and sometimes "32bit". When I try to save it in MS Paint it just destroys the colors. 

The 101 Spriting Guide just explains how to save it in Photoshop and I don't have it. (Acutally I don't like working with Photoshop)

I googled many guides for saving in 256bmp in GIMP but nothing helps, the problem won't go away. 

I just can't decide which color is the transparent color like described in the 101 Spriting Guide, maybe that's the problem? I really don't know and I hope

you can help me? Please?

(Sorry for bad English, I'm German and don't use English everyday. But I suppose you understand me. :) )

6 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  103

for the transparant background, if you want to be easy, use ROSpr toolkit. you can downlaod it from ratemyserver.net

if you already create the item image, make it into indexed colour on Image > Mode > Indexed Colour > OK (Photoshop)

after that open your ROSpr tool kit, btw the background image must be the same like the other frame also..

then convert image to spr

the program got language error i guess, so choose Image -> Spr then press "??(A)" Button, then add your image.. after that press "??M" then choose where you want to put the spr files, dont forget to put the ".spr" on your sprite file name ex : test.spr 

hope you understand what i tell, coz my english also bad XD

You mean "SprTool 4.6"? Won't open, direct error when I try to open it.
Just saw the correct "SprToolKit". Sorry. I'll try it now.

I know how to save it in 256bmp but GIMP won't do it correctly and I don't have the opportunity to install Photoshop just for this one sprite....

Edit: SprToolKit can't convert the images, because the last two ones aren't correctly saved in 256bmp images, but like I said, GIMP won't let me somehow.

Edited by Berry

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  103

use .BMP file and well the best app for me is Photoshop if there is another app that better then photoshop, idk coz i can make sprite from photoshop only..if i use paint then the colour will be darker

Like I said, I can't stand working with Photoshop. I'm working with GIMP right now and it just won't save it in 256bmp. 

MS Paint destroys the colors when saving in this format. GIMP not but somehow when I want to save it it 256bmp it saves it in another bmp format... I don't know why.

e62f12c7cebe5a2237cdd3f667e3e1ce.png

Now I managed to save them in 256bmp with help from a friend who uses Photoshop. But when I try to convert it into a .spr file the last three images look yellowish like this....

Edit: I kinda solved the problem with the help from EL Dragon. I apparently used too old tools, he showed me the Act Editor and fixed the yellowish colors from the images. I don't know how to solve this stupid GIMP problem, but I'm really glad I can finish this sprite. :) So this problem is solved! Thanks.

Edited by Berry
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  60

I had the same issues with photoshop aswell. With gimp I was able to make it work:

Since there was no answer to this question I post this here... maybe someone else will find that usefull.

The Images are in german.. I try my best to translate the buttons.

1. First load your image into gimp.

2. Change your image into Indexed mode. In the top menu: Image>Mode>Indexed

image.thumb.png.84617e1b5f0c84d74d2f8a8f71af80a1.png

3. In the "index" menu make sure to check the first option "optimal palette" and underneth that "maximum colors 256" (Not more!)

image.png.78a7569c154d39d17723d956230169a1.png

4. Now your image is indexed. Now click rightclick on the image in gimp. In the right-click-menu: windows->dockable dialogues->colortable

image.png.ec94d605563c06e4a89faf7f5672eb45.png

5. now on the top right the color table should show up. First click it with one leftclick. Then do a right-click and select

the option on the bottom. Should be something like "resort colortable".

image.thumb.png.b5c13a9877966dce94d27e7f3a44a7d7.png

6. In the next window make sure that your background color is the first one. find it and drag and drop it into the first position and hit "OK".

Your background color which will be transparent in Ragnarok Online should be the first color. (For my image it was the green color)

image.png.02ba8638b21b2eb1310ddda816b1367f.png

7. Now click "file" in the top menu and then "export to" (or maybe export as...)

image.png.444bab7770fece16508355dcac34c241.png

8. the export will notify you that the alpha channel will be lost. thats okay...

In the export menu make sure to check "kompability mode" and beneth that "dont wirte color space information" -- don't know if this translation is correct... 

image.png.36e495847ad4e5a54bac5c317236f972.png

At last hit "export".

You have to do this to all images like that.. or else the colors will be rendered wrong...

Hope that helps someone : )

Edited by Vincentore
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  4

On 12/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, Vincentore said:

I had the same issues with photoshop aswell. With gimp I was able to make it work:

Since there was no answer to this question I post this here... maybe someone else will find that usefull.

The Images are in german.. I try my best to translate the buttons.

1. First load your image into gimp.

2. Change your image into Indexed mode. In the top menu: Image>Mode>Indexed

image.thumb.png.84617e1b5f0c84d74d2f8a8f71af80a1.png

3. In the "index" menu make sure to check the first option "optimal palette" and underneth that "maximum colors 256" (Not more!)

image.png.78a7569c154d39d17723d956230169a1.png

4. Now your image is indexed. Now click rightclick on the image in gimp. In the right-click-menu: windows->dockable dialogues->colortable

image.png.ec94d605563c06e4a89faf7f5672eb45.png

5. now on the top right the color table should show up. First click it with one leftclick. Then do a right-click and select

the option on the bottom. Should be something like "resort colortable".

image.thumb.png.b5c13a9877966dce94d27e7f3a44a7d7.png

6. In the next window make sure that your background color is the first one. find it and drag and drop it into the first position and hit "OK".

Your background color which will be transparent in Ragnarok Online should be the first color. (For my image it was the green color)

image.png.02ba8638b21b2eb1310ddda816b1367f.png

7. Now click "file" in the top menu and then "export to" (or maybe export as...)

image.png.444bab7770fece16508355dcac34c241.png

8. the export will notify you that the alpha channel will be lost. thats okay...

In the export menu make sure to check "kompability mode" and beneth that "dont wirte color space information" -- don't know if this translation is correct... 

image.png.36e495847ad4e5a54bac5c317236f972.png

At last hit "export".

You have to do this to all images like that.. or else the colors will be rendered wrong...

Hope that helps someone : )

It helped me, thank you! ?

Edited by agent66