Creating sprites out of 3D Models.

Arana

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15

I decided to keep on my previous project but in a different way.

The first idea I had on that topic I linked was about making all the RO classes looking different, adding more quality to the game, actually recreating the main sprite base style into a Tree of Savior one.

"I Would like to thank Devil Evil again since he explained me how to rig models properly!"

However the project had to be cancelled the way it was, since creating a class from scratch adding even more frames to it so the 3D animation can get to be smooth means tons of work involved, I was going to be forced to create even new hairstyles, and also match their animation frame rate to the bodies, so the whole piece wont look kind of loose.

Creator-animated.gif

It does look great, and also it was fun to create the whole character as a model, but again, it won't only ask for the heads to be done, but the headgear too!.

I'm sad I just don't have the time to keep with it this way if it would take that amount of work done, but, now I saw that 3D animating is actually friendly to RO

If we get to turn the whole animation as .TGA files and load them up on ActOR. (Feel free to contact me if you want to keep up with that previous project, I can share the basic tips for it!).

So the reason of this new topic is the result I got out of the previous research.

If I couldn't work on a class since it ask for multiple tasks like headgear, and animated hairstyles, why not only work on Monsters? or NPCs?.

So that's right, I want to try making monsters using the previous method, but instead of making them look SO 3D, I want to see how far I could get by playing with the quality, lights and colors, approaching to the original sprite quality RO got, so this way I can probably start a new way of creating custom monster characters for Ragnarok Online, which will make it faster, easier and maybe look more interesting.

The first test will be done remaking a Lunatic, Chemical Crush  suggested it!  /ok

Edited by Arana
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  157

This is a cool concept, but I think you'll find that outside of doing it simply as an art project, you'll encounter a lot of hurdles in making this actually work. These characters are going to look pretty weird compared to original NPCs if they're placed in the game together. You'd have to literally do this to pretty much every NPC. Moreover, unless you were to take it upon yourself to redesign all of the maps, the old maps are going to look pretty odd with these characters, considering the difference in graphical quality.

That being said, you can do anything you put your mind to. Best of luck!

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  387

This is a cool concept, but I think you'll find that outside of doing it simply as an art project, you'll encounter a lot of hurdles in making this actually work. These characters are going to look pretty weird compared to original NPCs if they're placed in the game together. You'd have to literally do this to pretty much every NPC. Moreover, unless you were to take it upon yourself to redesign all of the maps, the old maps are going to look pretty odd with these characters, considering the difference in graphical quality.

He stated that he can no longer do the classes due to having to redo all the headgears as well.

Why diminish the idea of 3d mobs?  I am sure someone out there would be very interested in it.  I think discouraging artistic freedom for future releases regardless of different qualities is depressing.  It can make people unmotivated to look outside of the box for RO.  Not ranting or anything, but there are dedicated people who would even redo things such as the npcs and whatnot, you just never know!  Arana is one hard working person and the NPC / Class idea cannot work for now, but he's still learning about creating the mobs, we have 3d rips of mobs from other people and they are used.

Anyways, I can't wait to see the lunatic! My favorite mob by far!

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  157

Diminishing and discouraging...? Is that what constructive criticism is called now?

I simply stated that while I thought Arana had some great artistic abilities and interesting ideas, that it would be worth noting that there are serious challenges associated with what he wants to do. If I were to just say, "Oh that's awesome, good job.", that might sound nice, but that doesn't help at all. I'm just trying to let him know that there are limitations to the game which might be problematic in doing this project... Not to mention I even said, "that being said, you can do anything you put your mind to".

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  545

Hey Arana,

What is the goal with this project over the last one? I know we touched base on it a little bit, but I'm not sure I understand. With the last project, you said you could reuse certain animations or skeletons of the models you used; with monsters, I would think that you would have far less freedom to reuse things since Ktullanux, Harpy, Roween, Poring, and Thanatos have very different movements. As always, an impressive endeavor. Looking forward to that first mob posting.

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

Hey Arana,

What is the goal with this project over the last one? I know we touched base on it a little bit, but I'm not sure I understand. With the last project, you said you could reuse certain animations or skeletons of the models you used; with monsters, I would think that you would have far less freedom to reuse things since Ktullanux, Harpy, Roween, Poring, and Thanatos have very different movements. As always, an impressive endeavor. Looking forward to that first mob posting.

Regards,

~Azura Skyy

Hello Azura! The goal this time is different, since I'm not going to work on classes this time, now its about using the 3D software to try making an equal sprite than RO as in quality, the difference is that it will take maybe x10 times less the time it takes to create a sprite by drawing it pixel by pixel using 2D software, it will be harder as in rigging the objects as you said, since mobs are just random creatures when it comes to physics and objects they hold, but many animations can be reused too, if we get to talk about animations for humanoids, or flying mobs, even porings, each one will have their own set of skeletons that can be shared, except that I'll need to twitch a bit of the details.

Anyways the main goal here is to create giant mobs like MVPs, around Atroce's size, it could be great.

I get your point there, however it is still something that deserves to be developed, or at least try for doing so, I want to play with the object qualities and other methods, to see how far I can reach for making a RO-like 3D creature, however it will not be fully 3D, it will be real sprites, since it will be turned into TGA, so if the project is a success, it will be a huge WIN, since I'm planning on developing custom MVPs later, or really detailed mobs that would take ages to develop if using the traditional 2D sprite way.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  566

This blew me away..! This is amazing and you did an amazing job Arana.

I wonder how this looks in-game. Are the clients able to handle that much of 3d models if the whole game was to be in 3d?

This blew me away..! This is amazing and you did an amazing job Arana.

I wonder how this looks in-game. Are the clients able to handle that much of 3d models if the whole game was to be in 3d?

Hi Adel, thank you very much!

The 3D will be turned into TGA 2D pictures, Devil Evil told me that the game can handle TGA sprites, so it will be fine  /ok

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  566

Oh wow.....that is amazing o.o!!