rAthena Discord Chat - Join Now!

Azura Skyy

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  545

rAthena Community Chat

Connect Now No download or registration required

'Discordapp' is more or less your standard gaming text/voice chat application; it has the works. The difference between it and Skype, is it's clean and responsive feel. Where Skype is sluggish, Discordapp is always buttery smooth. Discordapp can be accessed from your browser with no registration or download required. The service is free and allows 1,000 concurrent users on a single server, so running out of room should never be a problem.

As it is set up now, there are three text channels, General, Filipino, and Support as well as two voice channels, English and Filipino. I know a lot of people feel bogged down by a plethora of chat services they are already expected to use, but I think if rAthena makes a commitment to come together on this platform, we could have an excellent service for helping each other out or simply hanging out!

The goal is to have a constant stream of people available to help with questions, big or small. That being said...
In an effort to keep the rAthena website relevant while still offering this chat service, we'd need to make sure that we post our questions under the relevant support forums, and as mentors, post our solutions there as well, thus allowing for future users to find answers easily.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is discordapp?

• From their website - "All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life." No download is required as discordapp is entirely capable of running through your browser.

Who can help?

• Everyone is encouraged to contribute in any way they can. Helping with large or small requests, it's all welcome.

How do I get help?

• Please post your question in the appropriate sub-forum. Once you've posted, join the chat and link your thread in the 'support' chat. Chat may be slow at times but someone is sure to be with you quicker than (or at least as fast as the) forums.

Rules/Tips

In an effort to hold some standard of ethics and integrity in the chat, I think some rules should exist more officially. I'll be a little less formal about this, but here's the quick and dirty of it, we follow the motto:

"If it doesn't belong (or you wouldn't post it) in rAthena general, it doesn't belong here."

• Create topics in the appropriate forum before being linked in chat (!help)
  • Seek help after related articles have been read. Please encourage users to read relevant wiki articles and forum posts (!read)
  • After being helped in chat, associated forum posts should be answered/explained and marked solved (!solved)
  • Keep language light in #General and constructive/relevant in #Support. No off-topic in the support channel.
  • English in #General and #Support channels.

I don't want to police-state the chat, so just use your head and follow rAthena's guidelines and you should be fine.

EDIT: This has turned out to be an excellent way to meet and interact with other rA users. It's not strictly about help. Feel free to join and hang out or just sit quietly until you have something to share!

This is a community effort. Please help us all.

Thanks to Nova for showing me the service.

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

Edited by Azura Skyy
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  265

Yeah Discord's great! Good idea. I'll be on it as I'm already on it all the time for my server.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  387

I'll idle in here as well.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  383

i'll try this one, Thank you!

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  452

Guys, we need more people here. Around 9 are online at the moment, more or less.

Only we can stop forest fires- and help each other with Ragnarok related problems. What's more is that it's a fun place to chill and talk about Ragnarok, gaming, or life. Making friends with the people you've seen post. Definitely gives a better sense of community!

Hope to see you all soon,
~Azura Skyy

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  452

I've been there for like a day at most I think since it was founded, and all of my questions and inquiries has been actively answered.

So to let everyone know what's going on in there, I'll be posting a small list of what I've learned from there.

Scripting:

1. I can finally finish my custom dungeon/instance-ish type
 - Credits to Stolao, Nova and Azura Skyy

Source Editing:

1. I am not really good with source edits, actually this was the first time I did and it went smoothly.
 - Credits to Nova and Mary Magdalene

2. Managed to add a few skills to other classes.
 - Credits to Mary Magdalene

Mapping/Editing of RO Maps:

1. Again, I am not very good with this department, however with the help of everyone,  I think I can manage to do it now.

- Credits to Stolao, Nova, Azura Skyy

--

This is a great way to help people actually, In such a short term of time, I've managed to learn lots from the chat and actually it builds up more of a community. Keep it up.

Join now: https://discord.gg/0XP9qqhUV9FqRCA5

• Upvote 1

It's so cheesy, but it's been a great way to make friends in this community, and it's only been up for a day. Here's hoping to growth!

Glad you are learning,
~Azura Skyy

Literally nobody uses the IRC. I tried joining in on it when I was new to the scene and all I'd get were "AFK going to sleep"

IRC is outdated and nobody likes using it. People just casually AFK inside of it.

Edited by Nova

Just saying....

What's the point of this when the IRC channel has been around for ages and ages and more people hang out on (and is less cutterf*kd then any other chatroom software out there)? https://rathena.org/board/topic/56196-irc-channel-rules/

Currently there are 29 people connected, there is a webchat client, it's easy to use, and supports a theoretically unlimited number of users.

We could start with the ugly outdated nature of the IRC channel. Discordapp is not cluttered and is very easy on the eyes. It's responsive and the people in it have been a delight and actually respond to you.

I'm not looking for negativity Jman, but you've voiced your opinions on rAthena on these forums in the past. I'm not going to try to discuss the particulars of anything like that; Please just let us be us. The chat is fun, the chat is trying to do what IRC fails to do. We want to be the place to be for the rAthena community to talk about anything and everything and support each other when the time comes so that we can all have better servers to offer each other and the RO community out there.

Regards,

~Azura Skyy

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  10013

Everyone have their right to voice their opinion. Its also true that IRC channel has been there for so long, its not dead. 

Discordapp is just providing another alternative option to the members to carry on discussions. more lively i guess, since most of the user treat IRC channel as dead/afk.

Although I didnt join often join IRC, I do know it's still alive. 

For me, the Discordapp is just more fancy than IRC ... the rest is basically the same. It's still a chatroom after all.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  27

Through Discord, I had been helped by rAthena greats such as Mary Magdalene, and Nova. Such a great app where people can easily discuss matters and share files and pictures.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1

These guys helped me out so much today. They literally took over 4 hours helping me troubleshoot. Definitely recommend the chat. Special thanks to Nova, Stolao, Mary Magdalene, and the Heavy Breathing Cat.

A thousand times thanks,

Malkirion

• Upvote 2

Still hanging out in here every day.

And still surprised at how handy it is to have so many cool people in a single chat.

Gone are the days of sharing skype details of every person you want to introduce to somebody else.

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1443

A great chatroom, for both helping out those who have a quick question, comparing ideas on a script or just chit chatting.

I went ahead and downloaded the phone app as well so I can help on the go. Feel free to join us anytime.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  513

beware: awesome people inside. <3

Rules/Tips

In an effort to hold some standard of ethics and integrity in the chat, I think some rules should exist more officially. I'll be a little less formal about this, but here's the quick and dirty of it, we follow the motto:

"If it doesn't belong (or you wouldn't post it) in rAthena general, it doesn't belong here."

• Create topics in the appropriate forum before being linked in chat
  • Seek help after related articles have been read. Please encourage users to read relevant wiki articles and forum posts
  • Linking recent and unsolved forum topics is highly encouraged until we have bot support for auto posting new topics.
  • After being helped in chat, associated forum posts should be answered/explained and marked solved
  • Keep language light in #General and constructive/relevant in #Support. No off-topic in the support channel.
  • English in #General and #Support channels.
  • Private server pages/info should only be linked/discussed in PM.
  • When discussing content being created, please use ambiguous pronouns; i.e. 'a server' 'my server' 'person's server' never 'Server-RO' unless posting in #Server-Ads

I don't want to police-state the chat, so just use your head and follow rAthena's guidelines and you should be fine.

Thank for your time,
~Azura Skyy

• 1 month later...

Bit against my desire to bump my own post, but I'd like to remind the community that we exist and are on standby for your questions/company. Give us a chance and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

Is this officially supported by rathena as a method of support and communication? If it is, where's the announcement/links to it on the forum and in the git readme? If you guys put as much effort into advertising irc (supported method of communication) as you have -another- service, then you'd already have a good user base to work with. Discord is no less cluttered than irc, it gives users the ability to type and so what if it's ancient? It works..

• Upvote 1

Is this officially supported by rathena as a method of support and communication? If it is, where's the announcement/links to it on the forum and in the git readme? If you guys put as much effort into advertising irc (supported method of communication) as you have -another- service, then you'd already have a good user base to work with. Discord is no less cluttered than irc, it gives users the ability to type and so what if it's ancient? It works..

It's a bit upsetting to see ex-staff so opposed to this. There are still some things Discord do that IRC doesn't. If I'm no mistaken, the ability to display images, play videos/gifs are not things the IRC can do.- particularly useful features when you are trying to solve a problem that someone is struggling to understand. As I understand it, Aleos has intentions of making a proper announcement thread, so I'll trust him to take card of that.

You should join up an hangout sometime. I'd love to chat. This isn't a witty remark, I genuinely would love to have a one on one with you.

EDIT:Spacing; clarification of sincerity.

Regards,

~AzuraSkyy

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

As long as it is good for community.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

We had 9 users in a voice chat call yesterday. I think that's a good sign. It's one thing to have the community chatting about music, and server production, bu another entirely to hear each other's voices. Thanks to everyone who spoke, even if just a few words. I know we're all from different backgrounds so the languages can be tough, but I think it was a blast and look forward to speaking with you all again!

This Saturday, January 30th, let's try to have everyone in on the fun!

Regards,
~Azura Skyy

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Necrobumping this topic for any new users who may not have stumbled across it and to thank everyone who made it successful. Please join us if you haven't already, or invite your friends if they haven't yet joined us.

This was intended to be a help chat at first and it functions as that on some level, but the real achievement with the Discord server is the social aspect that comes with it. I've seen users speak to each other for the first time without qualifying the exchange with an explanation of how to set up their server. While I haven't personally been a part of the server in some 6 months, I know that it is still bustling with a good crowd of people who are fun to talk to about anything, and useful for ragna-things.

Thanks,
~Azura Skyy