Best RO map editor/tips?

GreenMagic793

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  157

Hey mates,

What is the best map editor for RO, and where can I download it? Also, do you know of any introductory guides/videos that would help me understand the process? I've tried using Browedit but as far as I can tell, it's buggy and doesn't even seem to work half the time. What are you guys using to make custom RO maps? Thanks.

6 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  591

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  387

Most people honestly use BrowEdit.

I have yet to have it be 'buggy' for me.  You wont find a bug free map editor that I know of.  

I suggest using 2 versions, if you decide to, which is 620 and 586.  

I also HIGHLY suggest looking at Syouji's BE Tutorials, they're one of the most informative out there and is what I went by when I first started mapping.

https://rathena.org/board/topic/53466-guide-syoujis-browedit-tutorial-videos/

Goodluck.

• Upvote 2

I stayed up for a few hours last night tinkering with revision 620, and although it seemed pretty daunting and complex at first, with a little effort I now have a total grasp on the process. Once you figure out the basics it really is a great tool. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.

• Upvote 1

I stayed up for a few hours last night tinkering with revision 620, and although it seemed pretty daunting and complex at first, with a little effort I now have a total grasp on the process. Once you figure out the basics it really is a great tool. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.

Remember to get 586 for your final save of your map, if you don't you'll likely have errors ingame as well as large black boxes when you walk.

Also, I don't know if Syouji ever said it in a tut but make sure you always open a map FROM the RO Grf, don't go to start a 'New' map.  Always clear out an already used map in the grf, also make sure your water height is at -50 or else you are prone to issues with the black boxes when you're walking regardless of what revision you save in.

Happy Mapping.

Thanks! That's good to know. Luckily for me all of my editing will be done to maps that are already in the grf so I've been opening straight from there anyway, heh. You say to use rev 586 instead of 620 to save your final version eh? Is it just more stable or something? And do I need to do that for every map or just for brand new maps? Like if I just edit prt_fild08 instead of creating a new map do I still need to save the final version in 586? Thanks again for your insight.

Thanks! That's good to know. Luckily for me all of my editing will be done to maps that are already in the grf so I've been opening straight from there anyway, heh. You say to use rev 586 instead of 620 to save your final version eh? Is it just more stable or something? And do I need to do that for every map or just for brand new maps? Like if I just edit prt_fild08 instead of creating a new map do I still need to save the final version in 586? Thanks again for your insight.

I use 586 for the final save for every map, also even though you're just editing normal grf maps you may still have to edit the water height.  You may not as well, it just depends, but you do need to save with 586 as the final revision its not more stable at all, it's actually slower than 620 and crashes a lot when editing walls, its just use as the final saving tool before you use it officially in game.

• Upvote 1