What got you interested in scripting RO?

GreenMagic793

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  157

Why, in your opinion, did you become interested in writing scripts, running a server, and generally tinkering with the Ragnarok world? Was it that you saw issues in the game you wanted to fix? Is it something you just do to pass the time? Or did you want to create your own version of RO?

For me, it's sort of all of the above. After years of playing RO on official servers, and then dabbling in private servers, I said to myself- you know what, I'm going to start my own server. Originally, I set out with the intention of simply changing a few small things, and just operating my own server so I didn't have to pay for a subscription and wouldn't have to worry about getting banned or anything. However, once I realized the flexibility of the software, and what I was really able to do with it, it went from wanting a stable server, to wanting to create my own game, in a way.

I think that's part of what has made the RO private server scene so special. It's not just about playing the game anymore, it's about taking the game, and making it better- or at least, better for yourself. When I look at my own server, I'm extremely proud. There are years worth of scripts, modifications, and changes to it that have resulted in something truly different and unique, and although it will always share many common qualities with the original game, in a way I feel like I've made Ragnarok my own. That, to me, is what makes scripting for RO so special.

So, tell us all, what got you started, and why do you continue? Share your love for this game, and your reasons for tweaking it.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  265

I didn't want to. I used to play on CookieRO and I led a guild I grew to love, but once the server was abandoned by the GM team we found it hard to find a new home.

I made all of my friends hop from server to server for the longest time and we even had short runs on other servers.

After being hyped up about a new renewal server coming up, I posted on the forums and the reply by the administrator was extremely disappointing. I had been waiting a month and amassing my friends to join this server, only to meet disappointment before the server even launched.

It was at that point that I decided, if no one's going to make a proper Renewal server, I'll have to take the task on. I had 0 coding experience and had never been a GM in RO or any other game before, and I think I'm doing pretty well for myself now. Love the community, and I've made some great friends running my server.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1096

spikes / position lags.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1654

Is the question about "scripting only" or about "opening/playing on someone's/your own server"?

For scripting, it's because I love to learn something new. Because for me personally, "learning is a never ending process"...  /no1

My favorite philosophy is "Something that is used will grow, something that is unused will be fade away" (or something like that)  /meh

By keeping my mind active, my brain cells won't easily fade away. Same thing goes with your muscles, if you don't use them, they will never grow.

Ahh.. What I'm talking about? I'm getting off-topic...  /hum

Forgive me for my OOT post... Ahahahahahaha...

/wah  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13

For me it is wanting to exploring the possibilities in RO. Offical RO is challenging yet have many limitation in exploring and having fun.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  135

I think every gamer has the dream to create his own game, to customize a Ragnarok Server is something close to that.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  157

Great answers guys. I pretty much agree with everyone here- there are so many reasons for enjoying the process of creating and modifying your own server... The possibilities really are limitless. Original RO is a great canvas but it doesn't play to its own strengths, it has so much potential that it never really tapped into, so we as a community of tweakers and tinkerers have helped RO realize it's full potential. To me, that's pretty magical.