Why create a server using eAthena? o.O

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33

Hello, i noticed that some ADMs are creating their pre-re servers using eAmod (or eAthena)
Has this some kind of advantage about rAthena(or rAmod)? I mean, rAthena is renewal, but you can deactivate the renewal formulas and it become pre-re.

So... WHY THE F*CK THIS GUYS ARE USING A "DEAD" EMULATOR o.O

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1268

I've talked with quite a few clients about this... What I normally find is that sometimes when they say eAmod they actually are using rAmod. If that isn't the case they use eAthena for stability or familiarity. Also sometimes it's just a lack of understanding. They search for an emulator and end up finding eAmod/eAthena first and perhaps don't understand that most eAthena scripts run fine on rAthena. Convenience is also another factor where as rAthena aims for 1:1 with retail Ragnarok Online eAmod is more of a custom ready server, so most little things that you see in a private server are already done. But the biggest thing I've found people using eAmod for is the custom battleground system.

If you want my opinion rAthena is better and free. Although you'll have to do more work to get things setup. In the end you'll understand more, and have better support.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  374

Well I'm actually using eAthena before but now just transferred to 3ceam [ still eAthena with just 3rd classes, no renewal features ]

My reason? It's only because I'm not familiar with rAthena (also hercules) and also I'm not familiar with the renewal system (even i only know a little about 3rd jobs) so yeah i thought to myself i should just stay on what emulator i am familiar with to avoid errors and stuff i do not know.

Also to upgrade my client to 2012+

Sorry my bad english :D

So, i understand. But rAthena > eAthena..  Its very stable and rA has a nice forum, with good support :/ Thanks for answer :) 

• Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  429

One thing about using eathena.

some or more players want the old mechanics of eathena (which is really bug) and here in rathena it is fixed. but players won't understand that it was a bug and they still believe that was the original mechanics. :)

• Upvote 1

oh! I didnt knew this o.O It makes sense hahahahah, the players are funny :P Probably if you don't tell what emulator you're using, and say that its eAthena, they could believe heh. 
It is so much psychological than anything :P Like Skorm said "sometimes when they sayeamod they actually are usin rAmod" \/

I've talked with quite a few clients about this... What I normally find is that sometimes when they say eAmod they actually are using rAmod. If that isn't the case they use eAthena for stability or familiarity. Also sometimes it's just a lack of understanding. They search for an emulator and end up finding eAmod/eAthena first and perhaps don't understand that most eAthena scripts run fine on rAthena. Convenience is also another factor where as rAthena aims for 1:1 with retail Ragnarok Online eAmod is more of a custom ready server, so most little things that you see in a private server are already done. But the biggest thing I've found people using eAmod for is the custom battleground system.

If you want my opinion rAthena is better and free. Although you'll have to do more work to get things setup. In the end you'll understand more, and have better support.

Edited by Squirtle01

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  36

Ermm. I've encountered people who "assume" they use eAmod when it's actually rAmod (like @Skorm said).

Currently I help out (as a developer) on 3 servers. Ironically, 3 different emulators. eAmod, rAthena, and Hercules. On a personal opinion, an old timer like me, I'm more comfortable with eAthena based servers IF you are a developer. But as a players perspective, the most fun to play on is rAthena. That's just my opinion though, others may differ.

Nothings wrong with using an old, or as you put it, "Dead" emulator (dead forums? Yes. But dead emulator? No. For as long as people continue to use eAthena, it will continue to live on). For new aspiring developers, I would still recommend to learn the eA system, even the basics. Almost all eA coded scripts can work in either rA or Herc. So you can branch out from there. Some scripts may need tweaking, but it's fairly easy as eAthena is basically the Grandfather of pserver emulators.

Edited by Pseudo

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  36

Another reason for this - is unability to quickly migrate all your custom src stuff to more modern emulators.

Our server sticked with eAthena until we would finally migrate all our stuff to something else. It's not an easy process.

• Topic Count:  94
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2192

Another reason for this - is unability to quickly migrate all your custom src stuff to more modern emulators.

Our server sticked with eAthena until we would finally migrate all our stuff to something else. It's not an easy process.

No it ain't an easy process. Sometimes if you have a huge player base (roughly 1000)... a lot of prepping time can take half a year. Especially if you're moving to Herc or rA.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  224

I am passionate about eAthena..

I know use all emulators, but there's always something that pulls me back to eAthena .. hehe