What should worry about when I hire a HOST?

eKoh

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  206

Hello rAthena community! I am very happy to see you back =)!

Well, as I am getting closer to release the server I am working on, this question is still hitting my head =(

I am searching for dedicated hosts, vpns, here and there but I am not really sure what should I focus on:

• Processor
  • Ram
  • HDD
  • Bandwith speed
  • Bandwith capacity
  • Ping

For example, how do the processor impacts in the server's performance, also for ram, bandwith speed and all these listed things.

And what is an acceptable ping?

I would really really appreciate any help, this is driving me crazy =/

Have a nice day =)!!

P.S. 

For example, what do I need to worry about if my server is going to have more players? Like... 600 players online, is the RAM? the Bandwith speed?

Edited by eKoh

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23

Hi,

Usualy you won't face any problems with processor if you're planning to run ragnarok only, and the bandwith capacity is okay too, except if you're planning to put the website ( control panel - forum ) in the server aswell because it consumes bandwith quickly depending on your visitors and some hosts don't give enough bandwith for that, so it might get your server down, 500MB - 1GB bandwith capacity would be fine.

Ragnarok doesn't need much ram (Memory), i have an average ragnarok server (20~50 population) the map server consumes 300MB, char server 10MB, login server 7MB, so if you even have just 512MB, it will be enough to run a server like mine, but i suggest you get +1GB RAM, so you don't face problems in the future.

HDD, that is the file storage capacity for your server, you don't need much of that.. 10GB - 20GB would be just fine for ragnarok files/database, programs needed..etc, and most hosts give alot of storage, so it is not a thing to care about.

Finaly the Bandwith speed / ping, they are almost the same, most of the hosts provide either 100Mbits/Sec or 1GB/Sec, 100Mbits is very okay for even 500 players online, but if you get alot of players a really good number like +1000 then 100Mbits might not stay enough, then you'll need 1GB/Sec, so it doesn't matter anyways as a start because you won't reach 500 players directly..

About what do you need to worry about if the server gets more players, is the RAM, and Bandwith speed, processor is fine as long as you run ragnarok only.

I guess that's it.

Good luck finding your host.

Edited by jaffar
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  298

Hello,

what you need to worry is the location. What region will most of your players be, if you have an idea already i suggest get a server close to that region.

In my experience i prefer west coast server which has low latency on almost all region. 

Seriously jaffar, I am really thankful with your reply, I was really worried about this, but now I can calm my mind =D

Thank you a lot jaffar!

By the way, another dought came up.

I've been looking for hosts, and there are these VPNs and Dedicated servers.

I have seen VPNs and Dedicated servers with the same specifications, but What is the difference between these 2? and also How does these 2 impacts in the server's performance?

Since I saw that VPNs are much less expensive than Dedicated servers.

Hello,

what you need to worry is the location. What region will most of your players be, if you have an idea already i suggest get a server close to that region.

In my experience i prefer west coast server which has low latency on almost all region. 

Hello,

Hmm, I have read something about what you say, and I had a question for that.

What ping is enough good?

300ms is it?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  118

Hello,

300ms is it?

That 300ms depends from where it is. If it's across the globe it can be 'acceptable', if it's next door, it's completely unacceptable.

If you live in the USA and have a server either in the centre or the other side of the country, then your max ping should be about 120ms.

When you're talking about crossing oceans (Asian players joining on server residing in the USA) ping can be up to 300ms, sometimes even higher. But this all depends on where the server is situated and what kind of players you want to draw to your server. So if you could, give us a little bit more information and we'll be able to provide better feedback :)

Hello,

300ms is it?

ping should range from 150~300ms

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23

Hi again,

You're welcome eKoh

The different between dedicated servers and VPS is that dedicated server is a server/computer with only one account which is yours, and VPS is a shared server/computer with several accounts and you get an account with them, which means in dedicated server you usualy have full control and you can install whatever your server can handle, and VPS is limited to what the company let you use, that's why VPS is less expensive compared to dedi servers. In your case, aiming to run a ragnarok server, it doesn't really matter either it is a dedi server or a vps, just look for the cheapest one that suits your needs.

And about the ping, it is just as Tranquility said, but in general you must not worry if you have a high bandwith speed.

Hmm, and what are the advantages about using a Dedicated Server instead of a VPS?

I have read this for VPS from a website:

During peak times this can cause some performance degradation but minimums are guaranteed and highly managed.

This is traduced to lag, right?

Does it varies from company to company?

other question :3 hehe

How bad is being attacked by DDOS nowadays? How often is it on RO private servers?? It's just that I've seen that Hosts gets overpriced with this DDOS protection, and I am not sure if it is really needed.

Edited by eKoh

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3

I have a server available that you can use for free if you like? Full root access and control.Dedicated IP. All I ask is that I can learn from you what you know about rathena as I am out of touch. PM me if you are interested. Even if you just want to use my server as a test base for your production server. I just want to learn.

Edited by classified

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  143

Hello,

Atleast find a VPS with 170-190ms for better gaming, though 200ms is fine.. but 300ms i would be laggy during clash/pvp/woe