[First Map] Sunohara's House

HethT

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6

This is my first map, so be honest. ^o^

post-31340-0-39326100-1422129320_thumb.jpgpost-31340-0-09860600-1422129327_thumb.jpgpost-31340-0-79422100-1422129332_thumb.jpgpost-31340-0-16868400-1422129340_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  387

I like that everything matches. It has a 'feel' to it, you didnt just place random models all over the map. That's a + in my book. It doesn't look like you have any lights though, but don't worry lights were the last thing I learned in BE as they can be tedious. Keep up the work. I like the little fenced in area for the Peco, thats pretty cute.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  7

YO, this is boss, in my book, 10/10.

Users post a lot of really over-done maps here, and these users are really skilled, These maps take a while and are big and flashflash, but

to me at least, they don't really have 'soul' man. I can tell you were in a really good place mentally/emotionally when you made this map,

or at least you were aiming for one. You really enjoy map making man.

What it may lack in technical prowess, it makes up for in creativity and imagination. Like Ragnarok itself.

a few suggestions, maybe some dirt aorund the main path to the house, maybe some dirt inside the Peco pin.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  545

Cute little map.

My praise is the same as Chemii's. First time mappers often pull models from every city, leaving them with a clashing mess.
One thing I would like to see is lights. Playing with lights is scary, and admittedly tedious at first, but it definitely makes the map feel more 'alive.'

Sincerely,
~Azura Skyy

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  69

Its looking very great. I'll give you 10/10 points ;) I think you'll be a good mapper.

Best regards,

Garkor

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1443

For your first map id give it a 10/10 gj keep it up

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  111

Layout is on-point. As others said, you didn't just pull models and textures from every city in the game, which is good! That is what separates good mappers from mediocre ones. Here's a quick 'no-brainer' guide for a one-size-fits-all lightmap, which would really help add that finishing touch. You ready for this?

First light: Put it up in the middle of the map, high in the air, big enough to cover the whole thing. Intensity should be 127, light falloff should be 0.01. Make sure it doesn't cast shadows. This is the light that makes your map not pitch-black.

Second light: If you mentally divide your map into four quadrants, put this light somewhere high up in the bottom-left one, but not right at the corner of the map. Set the intensity to 100, make sure it's big enough to cover the whole map. Light falloff should again be 0.01. Make sure this one casts shadows- That's what it's there for.

Now calculate lights, and -bam-, that is literally all you need to do for to get basic shadows on 99% of your maps, ever. Cool, huh?

Bonus points: Put down some canopy models right on the floor, and calculate the lights. When the shadows are down, delete these- You'll be left with that cool canopy effect that they have in Payon in-game. (If you ever looked at Payon without shadows, you'd be surprised how much of it is just empty space.)

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  6

Layout is on-point. As others said, you didn't just pull models and textures from every city in the game, which is good! That is what separates good mappers from mediocre ones. Here's a quick 'no-brainer' guide for a one-size-fits-all lightmap, which would really help add that finishing touch. You ready for this?

First light: Put it up in the middle of the map, high in the air, big enough to cover the whole thing. Intensity should be 127, light falloff should be 0.01. Make sure it doesn't cast shadows. This is the light that makes your map not pitch-black.

Second light: If you mentally divide your map into four quadrants, put this light somewhere high up in the bottom-left one, but not right at the corner of the map. Set the intensity to 100, make sure it's big enough to cover the whole map. Light falloff should again be 0.01. Make sure this one casts shadows- That's what it's there for.

Now calculate lights, and -bam-, that is literally all you need to do for to get basic shadows on 99% of your maps, ever. Cool, huh?

Bonus points: Put down some canopy models right on the floor, and calculate the lights. When the shadows are down, delete these- You'll be left with that cool canopy effect that they have in Payon in-game. (If you ever looked at Payon without shadows, you'd be surprised how much of it is just empty space.)

Thanks a lot for your advices. ^^

I am sure it will need so much practicing, 'cause it is not look such great ^0^

post-31340-0-85000100-1422396386_thumb.pngpost-31340-0-52486600-1422396390_thumb.pngpost-31340-0-04988400-1422396394_thumb.pngpost-31340-0-83703900-1422396397_thumb.png

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  387

Thanks a lot for your advices. ^^

I am sure it will need so much practicing, 'cause it is not look such great ^0^

attachicon.gifsunoharaB01.pngattachicon.gifsunoharaB02.pngattachicon.gifsunoharaB03.pngattachicon.gifsunoharaB04.png

If you want you can always smooth your lightmaps.  

Generate > Smooth Lightmaps

I do this about 1 or 2 times depending on how dark and 'rigid' my shadows look.

For me it just looks nice for the shadows to be smoother looking.

=]  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  67

good map *o*

• 4 years later...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  54

good

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  134

Hii! It looks good, it's really well done as they said before x3 the spaces are also well thought of, the texures well chosen as well. You're very talented >w<
And uhm, for me the easiest way to make sky lightmaps and its shadows is simply to use Browedit 2, that includes all of the options mentioned above in a single click, and gives you a very detailed and smooth enough lightmap :3 It also allows you to change the angle of said light very easily. The only problem with making lightmaps with it so far is that Browedit 2 is a bit difficult to install and set up, but let me know if I can help you! If you're not in Borf's Browedit Discord channel yet, I'll send you the link x3
Good luck and have a very good time mapping~!