[showcase] Spriting by ARANA

Arana

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15

Hello everyone, I think its time for me to introduce myself here and show some of my works over the years since I started spriting.

Name's Arana or Aiko, I've been around the RO community using those nicknames.

Sadly I do not share any of my works yet since they were made by commission. So as the title says, this is mostly a Showcase

I started spriting since year 2009 following same steps as Devil Evil, basically I would like to thank him for having the patience on spriters like me, and sharing such wonderful guides written by him.

I'll place some of my works here displayed in chronological order, also adding information about the server it was used for.

(Note that all these items has been currently tested in game, they do not crash, look bugged or loose any of their proportions, however, a few of them actually use custom RO palettes).

EdoRO

My very first sprite was a gift for a wonderful GM I met, "GM Albion" from this closed server, the item was just a hat featuring him as in doll form.

Albprb12.png

GM Albion Doll

Tales of Midgard: Freya

I went deeper into spriting so I made an Hydralisk (monster character from Blizzard's Star Craft game series) as a gift for Unlimited, who was current admin of the Tales of Midgard servers.

I also made an Unlimited doll hat for him.

Hydraliskimage001.png

Hydralisk0001.png

Hydralisk0001.gif

Star Craft Hydralisk.

UnlimitedD0001.png UnlimitedD0002.png UnlimitedD0003.png GMUnlimited_Ilust.png

GM Unlimited Doll

CeresRO

I Joined CeresRO as a GM, and also created some hats our players were asking for, the idea was just to open a Topic over the forums on which any player can give a suggestion about an item they would like to see in Ceres Ragnarok.

TArouDollPreview3.png

Tarou Hat (I know... its probably my ugliest work so far >.>  ;)

SSampledevlish.png

Devilish Horns

Muestracompleta.png

Just a hat c: (not finished)

Mud1.png Mud2.png LeMudkipsHat_ilu.png

Le~Mudkips hat

HelloKittyPReview.png

Hello Kitty Hairband

PreviewNidhoggrhelm.gif

nydhogglowres.png

Nidhoggr's Helm

probably the most complicated hat I've ever done so far, mostly because of my lack of experience on animating

hats back then, I made sure the hat would keep its proper frames and animations. Devil Evil helped me understanding how the animation works for these hats.

Strawberryexample.png

Strawberry Heavens

Im not including the thumbnail from inventory image since I do not own its rights, I made the sprites and hat for the game, but

the difference from the other works I have done is that its thumbnail and concept were already made by an unknown artist.

SSampleplzKitty.png

Assassin's Creed Hood

(reason why I  display other hats at the right side of some items is that I used to show the current hats I'm working on before the release of the ones that were already done).

NobleRO

After CeresRO's closure, I entered a team wich had many skilled members willing to start a new project recommended by Mr. Devil~ here I met Chemical Crush (A really beautiful map designer) and other friends

the project was about giving a Rune Factory twist to the Ragnarok Online engine.

I was asked to create my first custom mobs, so I took some examples from existent mobs and wrote sprites over them.

grunty_babe0001.png

Baby Grunty

Grunty0001.png

Teen Grunty

goat0001.png

Grown Grunty

I am sorry if the shade does not completely respect Ragnarok's physics rules (The team loved them but some guy from outside who was thinking on hiring me talked a lot of bad stuff about my works as a monster spriter...)

but like I said... those were my first 3 custom monsters I have made, including all animations and sound config.

EN1.gif

EN2.gif

Ent

This is an Ent from World of Warcraft, I think it was Chemical Crush who asked me if I could make a RO version of it, the best thing from this monster is

that I no longer required using an old one as a base, except for its file as a template, the animations set, some sounds, etc. the mob size and sprites were created from scratch.

GiantCrabpreview1.png

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Giant Crab

As a suggestion to the NobleRO's team leader "Ombra" I said we should create a custom MVP for our server, he agreed right away, but all I made was this single image, Giant Crab from FFCC

this was my last current work for NobleRO, since the team disband and the project was never finished.

PlayRO

I later joined PlayRO as a player, got to know its staff team and created some custom Hats and NPC for them.

Sample.png

Juvia Hat I

Juvia's Hat requested by the server admin "Juvia"

iquestcopy_feather_beret_blue0001.png feather_beret_blue_Ilu.png Test.png

Juvia Hat II

I later made a new hat from the same character (Juvia Lockser from Fairy Tail)

4_f_Juv70001.png

NPC Juvia

I was finally asked for a custom NPC for the server, Juvia Lockser RO version.

AatroxHelm-01.png

Aatrox Helm

A Project I never finished, Juvia's cousin asked me to show him how to create a hat, his desire was to get a League of Legends Aatrox helm for RO.

JustRO

Siroma.png Siroma_Backpack_collection.png

Siroma Backpack

Chemical Crush was working on a server named JustRO, she asked me for a Siroma Backpack for a custom quest c:

ElariaRO

Thanks to Chemical Crush I got to meet Aurela, ElariaRO's admin, after I was introduced to the team I started working on something special.

Elaria.png

NPC Aurela

My first work for ElariaRO was an NPC named Elaria for a quest.

GiantFiddlerBundle.png

Fidler%20Crab%20Gif%20Aiko2.gif Fidler%20Crab%20Gif%20Aiko.gifFiddlerCrabCardfixed.png

Giant Fiddler Bundle

I told Aurela about most of my old projects, then I mentioned I was trying to create an MVP, she asked me to finish it for her server, since the project was only around 3% finished back when I was creating it for NobleRO, also never got to deliver it or get any kind of payment for it, so I finally finished the MVP for ElariaRO, with all its animations and custom Sounds, so far this is the hardest file I've worked with when it comes about spriting, I made a pack containing a recolored version of a monster that actually exist, also reworked one of the crabs from the game, and finally added the 100% custom Giant Crab plus its card.

Some of the frames stop or change colors on a weird way since ActOR2 is not really designed for exporting animated frames + effects, so these are current errors shown by the .gifs not the current files while in-game.

29_iquestcopy0002.png 29_iquestcopy0001.png

rawrrawr.png

testhair.png

Ela2.gif Ela1.gif

Custom hairstyles for Elaria, they are also animated and work well with any palette, tested on every animation as well.

Sintiacutetulo.png

A tricky work, the diamonds actually got their transparency in game on different spots as shown in the picture, they're also animated displaying some shine, the colors obviously aren't taken from the original RO palette, however they do look well in-game for its purpose.

Dolphi.png

An NPC made for this past 2014 x-mas, was meant to cover a quest.

AnotherRO

I am currently working for AnotherRO, following our administrator "Nevan" requests.

Porings.png

The symbols that AnotherRO's forum will mainly use.

AdministratorMedal.png

Badges displaying the current member's position, can be from a normal player, to an administrator, I had fun creating these, since they represent dungeons and fields from Ragnarok Online.

Can you guess which place is which?~

Thank you very much for reading about my current/old projects, I'm willing to keep spriting and learn more about it, really happy to share this post, probably something I should have done years ago. I would be happy if you comment on this topic, I accept any kind of criticism.

I'm attaching the Nydhogg's Helm complete file on this post, feel free to use it!

2Nydhoggr's Helm1.rar

Edited by Arana
  • Upvote 6

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  53

Cool! Great Work..

free Juvia NPC and Drooping Doll? XD

• Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411

Oh, cool cool, if I had some one like you on my team ;-;

But, whatever, good job, by the hard sprites we can see that you love pixel art, so congratulations and good luck

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  317

Definitely awesome! These sprites look really good, and they do fit perfectly with RO's colors. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work Arana.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3

Happy to have such a good spriter in our team, big thanks to arana for the badges!

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for your comments!  well I'm looking forward for giving more freebies later, also keep updating this post aswell.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  566

Amazing sprites! I love the mobs <3

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  387

Arana I am so glad you started posting your works on rAThena! I told you everyone would love your work, I am so grateful to have seen you grown in your spriting from us working on Noble up until now. Glad to say I have a great friend and an awesome spriter.

PS Thanks for that backpack :D

• Upvote 1

Arana I am so glad you started posting your works on rAThena! I told you everyone would love your work, I am so grateful to have seen you grown in your spriting from us working on Noble up until now. Glad to say I have a great friend and an awesome spriter.

PS Thanks for that backpack :D

Thank you Chem, I' so glad we are friends too anytime!!

• Content Count:  10

Nice sprite sist

I love Nidhoggr's Helm  /awsm 

I think Star Craft Hydralisk was like Venomancer in DotA 2  :D

• Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  374

Please share ur Diamonds hahah

• 7 months later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3

Good job aran ! /no1/lv

I hope from admin pin topic /oh

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  45

I wish I can sprite like you do!

Love it, keep up the good work!​

• 5 months later...

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  73

ARANICHI  ♥ Huggggg
You know I love your works.

Edited by Daifuku

• 8 months later...

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  47

Woahh! Great Job! Those sprites are really good. Keep it up!