PermaDeath

Squishyyy

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60

I didn't know where to put this. It's mostly script based, but it has some src changes and conf changes etcetcetc so I figure what the hell put it in the dumpster of modification projects.  

This permadeath mod/script/whatever I'll just call it mod--  is an idea me and a friend of mine came up with. Basically, when you die, instead of reviving in town your character is warped to jail map and put on display for all to see FOR ALL ETERNITY. You cannot do anything while in this state (because you're dead). It's still a WIP which is why I didn't put it as a release.

Anyway, I tried to add the zip file but it won't let me and some of the src files it says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" which kinda sucks. I will say, there's a custom atcommand @leaveguild I added which is why I needed src files, but I suppose I can get to that later. 

-There's a lot to be done including pvp/gvg/woe compatibility. I mean, you're GOING to die in those scenarios and I'm scratching my head trying to think of a way around it. 

-There currently isn't any way to visit the Hall of Fallen Heroes i.e. Jail. 

-Jail should technically be a duplicate or even different map so people can still be jailed.

Am I missing anything? I'm really just posting for insight and preliminary response not 'HALPCANTFIXDUNTWURK' replies. They will be ignored.

Here's an old screen shot from development...I suppose I'll make a new one later.

[edit here's a new one] - did I mention you're the ghostring @_@;

ea436140a5.jpg

Current status: WIP - gvg/pvp permadeath still a problem. (Is it a problem? I guess it is XD. ) 

hardcoremode.zip

Edited by Squishyyy
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  123

Help I'm using your code it didn't work.

Just kidding  /meh .

Since the characters are going to be stuck there forever, isn't that the same as deleting the character? Or will someone come to save you?

I don't know what to say to this project since I don't know what is the main reason you put their character in there in the first place.

I bet there's something you've come up with that you haven't share with us.

you're right about that! The kafra you talk to will eventually 'store' the characters once I fiddle with some SQL stuff and then allow you to free up that client space again while still being able to view them in game from a museum-type perspective. It's a WIP...and ongoing with my server's development. ^^;;

And no, no one's going to save you. You're dead. Dead as can be. It's pretty much a mausoleum. I got a lot of work to do, and still trying to figure out whether to go with mapflags or atcommands or custom script commands for the gvg/pvp exception. hrm.

Edited by Squishyyy

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  411

Sword art online? . - .

Deleting the char is more comfortable

Updated the script a little. Unhelpful comments will also be ignored....and you guys wonder why these projects die so often. Someone posts something they do and people end up bashing their work. And then everyone's like "Oh he gave up . Why can't anyone finish X project." This is why I left rathena's community. And for what it's worth, I still get kicked from IRC pretty much every time I log in there. I find it humorous. Anyway, I attached the file with some adjustments including a horribly half-assed sql command. I was really unsure how to store the characters without creating a lot of overhead. In the end, I chose to create a custom sql table. I don't know a lot about overhead or advanced scripting techniques so I'm doing the best I can. ^^;; laters.

HallOfFallenHeroes.txt

Edited by Squishyyy

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  411

Well, unhelpful or not it's a useless system :s , but good luck

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2997

It would be cool if you spawned a permanent clone of the character to wander around in the jail, since I can't imagine that anyone would stay logged in for too long after dying. The best way I can think of achieving this is through storing all of the dead character data in a separate table (for persistence), then using something similar to mob_avail to summon and disguise un-attackable monsters as players (would require a bit of source modifications).

• Upvote 2

That's a great idea Euphy. I'll look into it! And yea, I was thinking about keeping the pvp enable flag up and taking the dropall off. The person who asked for it told me they wanted the player "as they were" when they died and dropall was a bad idea. So, still figuring things out on that end.

• 2 weeks later...

I been thinking about this among my other projects and maybe it'd be better to have it like a 'hardcore' mode where it was optional so people didn't hate themselves for dieing so much. Still, I have to sort all this out. At least I'm still alive, right? posting progress etc xd?

It would be cool if you spawned a permanent clone of the character to wander around in the jail, since I can't imagine that anyone would stay logged in for too long after dying. The best way I can think of achieving this is through storing all of the dead character data in a separate table (for persistence), then using something similar to mob_avail to summon and disguise un-attackable monsters as players (would require a bit of source modifications).

I managed to use scripting to spawn a clone . It was pretty easy. The only issue I'm having at the moment is limiting or even counting the clone. I don't know how the mob is attached.

I used the following syntax:

undisguise;
	clone "sec_pri",25,76,0,getcharid(strcharinfo(0)),getcharid(0);
	disguise 1120;

I disguise you as a ghostring (since you lost your 'corporeal body' and then undisguise and so it won't replicate the ghostring and then clone then quickly redisguise all pretty much before the player can tell. Still, this leaves the problem of what happens next. Maybe my brains fried from working at this too hard but they can just keep getting clones til their hearts content and that would be bad for the server xD. (even if the clones are in jail). 

[EDIT]

Added current version to OP.

Edited by Squishyyy

So, I decided to use mapflags to add gvg/pvp restrictions. It looked easy, but for some as soon as I add this line or any line like it I stop permadieing ANYWHERE (as opposed to just on those maps).

if(getmapflag("pvp_y_1-1",mf_pvp,0)) { end;}

I had a long block that I wrote of all the pvp, gvg and town maps that I had to pull out because of it. Any ideas on what's up?

[EDIT]

Also, I added an OnPCLogin variable so that as long as you don't kill your clone it will come back. I suppose I should make the clone invulnerable so you can't do that. ..hrm. I also limited it so that you can only have 1 clone and cleaned up some dialogue. I'll upload the new files in a bit. Still working on the pvp/gvg thing.

Edited by Squishyyy

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  177

It's like a RO version of Diablo's Hardcore mode.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  192

Well, but in diablo you're able to either create a normal, or a hardcore character.

They are not related to each other at all!
Which means, you can't trade any items nor store any items from a normal to a hardcore character.
And any other progress is also NOT shared.

Which in the end, would make much sense if you're willing to have both "normal and HC"

Because if a hardcore char dies in Diablo, all items and char progress itself is completly lost forever.

The only thing that stays are your achievements.

So you would have to decide, wheter or not a dead char shall be able to use storage by command or whatever... to save their items.

good luck on your script, i like the idea ;)

Edited by Everade

• Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  846

It seems nice but I kinda agree with the actual concept of "PermaDeath".

If you die, you should be kicked to the title screen and your character be completely deleted from the server. If you're the leader of a guild, the guild should be disbanded.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15

Lol I just thought of World of Warcraft. Maybe make a version of it too? Haha.

You become a ghost after dying and should go to where you died to be revived.

Edited by cadcdac